My First 16 ton Rust Bucket

The first I heard of using gouache was about a year ago from Rich Divizio over at Modeltrainsweathered.com a

To give credit where it's due, I heard about it from Martin (Pugsley) on here, who in turn picked it up from MTW; that would be five years ago or so. It roughly coincided with discovering the work of Mellow Mike, which made me realise I had to up my game where rust effects were concerned

Take any advice Pennnine MC gives you, his wagon weathering is the best! I have a copy of a BRM with an article by him - full of 16t minerals with realistic weathering.

Perhaps he still has the photos?!

This is going to sound cheesy, but you really are too kind ;) As I said above, I'm pleased that the 6WTS thread still stands up and has some currency, but it was only ever intended to be a 'back to basics' reprise of the methods I settled on myself when I first set out (which in turn were based on a handful of articles published in mags). Anybody who sets out to experiment for themselves will also pick up tips from other sources, adopting and modifying some or discarding others, and eventually develop their own eclectic approach.

The mineral technique is basically the one I developed for use on unpainted Airfix plastic. It works on the Bachmann factory finish because it's very robust, but on a wagon that you'd painted grey yourself (which I generally do, because the Bachmann grey is a tad dark for my taste), a gentler approach is needed, with washes, smears and the rust flecks built up with various fine implements. But the whole point of rust is that it is anything but uniform - whilst there are certainly recognisable themes that can have variations wrought upon them, the last thing you want is 30 wagons that all look much the same

The BRM photos were the work of Steve Flint (in his freelance days), I do have copies of all the slides but not so many in digital format

Some sunshine and still air, at last, so here are pics of the other two ‘less weathered’ wagons I did the same evening (I can’t say by popular request… but someone did ask!). The sides aren’t so ‘in your face’, but click ‘em and they will be!

The interiors are much less lumpy… having learnt from the first not to be so enthusiastic about using talc, although I love the effect. Still a few final touches to make, as already mentioned.

When I showed them to a friend he immediately thought that, having now taken this road to realism, the couplings are crying out to be changed. This may be so, but for me, just now, that’s a non-starter… but what I certainly will be doing is copying the absolutely brilliant idea described by Brian Kirby… that involves the addition of a couple of suitably-shaped staples. Take a look if you haven’t seen it already… you can’t help but be hooked!!

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=8&t=35605

Anyway, here’s the photos… and one of the first wagon with its real-coal load (looking porridge-like here) that’s intended to give the impression of being filled in two drops. I’ve also blackened the interior a little, but for ‘health and safety’ reasons I probably shouldn’t explain exactly how. Will just say I was ignited by the idea of using a cocktail stick and a candle, and had a bit of an aroma therapy moment!

post-11262-0-02602100-1308508913_thumb.jpg

post-11262-0-79290000-1308508921_thumb.jpg

post-11262-0-23938400-1308508930_thumb.jpg

post-11262-0-57321700-1308509048_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that my fellow Devonian... but not 'alf as good as some of yours!!! Just had a peek!

Hi,

Us Devonians should stick together! Thanks for your comments about my weathering efforts! Still a few more to do and some new techniques to try, thanks for the inspiration.

When I get some more done, I will post them up.

Archived