NCE Powercab & DCC Concepts AD1 + Cobalt point motor

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

Having read the excellent reviews of the DCC concepts Cobalt point motors I decided to give one a trial. I use the NCE Powercab to run the layout so I also purchased an AD1 decoder after reading the manual and being attracted by the simple wiring setup. However, having gathered together all the component parts and wired them up I now find myself with a problem and was wondering if anyone else out there uses this combination or can offer some pointers?

The crux of the issue is that when I connect the AD1 to the main DCC power bus, it keeps reseting the Powercab as if there is a short. Have I just got a dud AD1 or have I boobed somewhere along the line with my interpretation of how these things work? This is the diagram I was following (not much to mess up here!)although I don't have the push button as the plan was to control the turnouts from the Powercab:

diag.jpg

Electrics are not my strong point, so I fully expect the problem to be a rookie mistake on my part!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated :yes:

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom.

Check where you have made the wire connections to the AD1 in case there is a stray wire strand touching something it shouldn't.

If no joy there try & disconnect the cobalt motor in case you have a dodgy point motor.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony.

Thanks for the reply. I've just disconnected everything and tried just the AD1 connected to the bus and I still get the same issue. The ends of the wires are tinned with solder so there shouldn't be any stray strands.

Thanks again.

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan.

I will do! I've just ordered another AD1 (I need 6 anyway) to see if the first was at fault. If I still have the problem then I'll contact DCC Concepts direct. Either way I'll post the outcome!

Cheers,

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Well, it appears I had a dud AD1. The second one arrived this morning and after being wired up as per the diagram everything works perfectly! :yahoo:

Tom.

Hi Tom

Good to hear you got the problem sorted out. I know for a fact that DCC Concepts runs a tight shift when it comes to testing as I have seen him conduct tests on 1000s of AD1's. It could have being damaged in transit, poor handling by seller etc etc or it could have being a dud.

Unlike BRealistic who is not so realistic with his comments.

Can't have been tested before sending... which is a worry. The next 5 MUST be perfect!!!!

Why would you say that? Back it up with some factual information. These are the type of comments the mods should jump on.

How are the other 5 doing?

Cheers

Martin

I'm sure that no one would be more disappointed than Richard Johnson himself. I'm also sure that he will do everything in his power to prevent a re occurrence if his company was to blame in the first place.

How many times have any of us bought something only to have it fail in a short time or sometimes not work at all. How many times have we bought a product which was fine until we got our hands on it :rolleyes:

These things happen despite all the precautions.Thats why we have guarantees & faulty products are always replaced.These things happen. Lets not start a war over it.

Just glad Tom got it sorted.

Gentlemen

I would like to remind members of rule two within our forum rules that can be found here with respect to criticism of any products and services

2. Please do not post unsubstantiated or inaccurate criticism of any individual or organisation. Any criticism should be presented in the same manner as would be appropriate for a face to face conversation.

Just because an item fails to work correctly once shipped it does not necessarily mean "it can't have been tested".

Hi

No intention of starting a war, thats a little extreme but I do understand what you mean.

Rule 2 from RM rules

2. Please do not post unsubstantiated or inaccurate criticism of any individual or organisation. Any criticism should be presented in the same manner as would be appropriate for a face to face conversation.

Cheers

Martin

Archived