Dudley snow hill

shreives

Hi all dudley snow hill is a fictional place in the west midlands. Back in 2001 2002 my father and i spent many weeks travelling around the country behind 47s on cross country duties in which we spent manys days at birmingham new street watching 47s take over from 86s (great days)I wanted to recreate a part of this but on a much smaller scale because of space.Like new street the area will be very urban and the railway will be set down in the cutting. The period is 2000 to present day which gives me the option to run many liveries but with some of the bad winters we have had over the years i have decided to receate a very bad snow fall (first layer of snow is only done at the moment) so bring on the 47s :D

I wanted the name to reflect somewhere in the birmingham area so snow hill was the first part but what to go with it? short and sweet dudley perfect so dudley snow hill is born i have added some pictures please excuse the poor qaulity hope you all like.

post-3608-0-96803300-1308254207_thumb.jpgpost-3608-0-91596900-1308254255_thumb.jpgpost-3608-0-23831300-1308254293_thumb.jpgpost-3608-0-58117700-1308254330_thumb.jpgpost-3608-0-77452500-1308254371_thumb.jpg

any comments and feedback would be great thanks

stuart

Hi Robert;

Looking good...not many snow scenes ever modelled and even less done well, so godd luck with being brave and giving it a go.

Would have thought that the three track bit may be more prototypical with N Brass Gantries rather than Dapol Mk3 catenary masts.

Hope the 47s are snowplough fitted!!!

Later;

STU in LIBV :yahoo:

Hi guys thanks for the comments

the snow is going to take awhile to get right but i will keep going till i get it just right.

the over head masts are going to be replaced with n brass gantrys when i get round to ordering them. I have also decided to put a gurder bridge over the track work just after the platforms.

I should have a couple of new arrivals soon and i will post some more pictures when they are here.

Thanks again for the comments

stuart

Guest jim s-w

Hi Stuart

Good move - the platform mounted masts look very odd. (i assume you realise that the snow dates your layout firmly in the last couple of years for the midlands? Hardly any significant snow during the 2000's! ;) )

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I like the look of this layout - mind me asking how big it is?

i have decided to receate a very bad snow fall (first layer of snow is only done at the moment)

I'd say don't overdo the snow - it's convincing as it is and it would be easy to spoil it.

I'm loving this one!

The layout through the station looks like something Ive often recreated in simulators. Its got hints on Northampton castle station in there which I've always wanted to model.

I agree that the snow looks good as it is...a few touch ups maybe, and thinkening in parts. but I think a second full layer might be overkill. One of the hardest things when building up textures etc is knowing when to stop. Add small layers, step away, review, then upload more pictures so we can drool over them!

Well done, great work :yes:

regards

Lee

Archived