Looking Back At Clas 37 Locomotives

Baby Deltic

I took delivery of this book this morning, and I am sadly a little bit disappointed by its content when it is compared with the other 'Looking Back' series books thus far. There are some good pictures, granted, if you like modern sector and post nationalisation liveries - there's even a fair number of rail blue 37's but, to my mind, the number of photographs of class 37's in green livery is wholly inadequate considering the period of time this covers and the number of photographs of green class 37's available. I certainly wouldn't have bought the book had I had a chance to browse through it first.

Anyway, that's my opinion, but if you are a diehard class 37 fanatic and you like sector liveries, ultra modern liveries and a bit of banger blue, then this will probably float your boat.

ISBN:978-1-905276-24-0

Strathwood Press

I always think that Strathwood could do so much better with their books. I enjoyed the volume on the 50s, but in places it felt like images had been shoe-horned in when much better ones are available. Also think the caption information is a bit vague. I think Strathwood have produced some good books, but do wish they would spend a little more time making them more'special', as £19.99 for what is essentially a picture 'annual' style book is expensive. Like my old school teacher used to say "ok, but could do better!".

The various Strathwood books I have are all excellent IMHO. What I like is that they're not just albums stuffed full of photos which have been published elsewhere previously. Some of the captions could be a little better perhaps, but the range of the books in a relatively short time more than makes up for it.

The seemingly high proportion of sectorisation images in the Class 37 book mentioned above makes me very interested :)

Incidently, if you see Strathwood at a sghow they seem to have a bargain box of books - I bought a 'Shop Soiled' copy of the Seventies ER book and aside from a small mark on the cover (which I only found because I was trying to see what was up with it!) cost me £12.95 :D

Archived