Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Stackton Industrial Park

Just an idea for a small industrial park, using aTrack-mobile to keep siding lengths short, on 2 x 4' x 2' boards, joined to form a 4' x 4' layout. Viewing from east and south sides, with buildings forming an "Urban Canyon". Scale is HO. Lots of space for truck/container/artics/cars/workmen/cameo scenes/inset trackage

post-6688-0-80503400-1308412509_thumb.jpg

I do like that Jack, it still falls under unusual I reckon but would make a really convincing layout. I always fancied something like an F shaped layout or with a 3rd leg even but this would do. Although I reckon a modern era location would be easier, I wouldn't like to build all the buildings if you set that in a Chicago type area.

Yes, Dave - I know what you mean. I was thinking of the modern(-ish) Tin-shed warehouse style industrial park, rather than the older warehouse district. I really just threw it together to see if it would work - possibly as a simple exhibition layout idea. but E or F layout version would work too - not sure how well as an exhibition one which would get people "trapped" in the "alleys" :blink: , but for home use, fine. weith carefull planning of building heights, it would assemble face-to-face for transport in a reasonably sized package . the idea was modified from this section of a much larger layout

Dear Jack,

The tines of the E/F format will only trap people _if_ the gaps between the tines are actually big enough (and the projected depth of the tines deep enough) to allow a human body to fit _in_ the gap thus formed.

Even if the 4x4 we're talking about was a C shape, with a 2' deep "backbone" and 1' wide "peninsulars", the hollow thus formed would only be 2x2, not very "inviting" a gap to squeeze into, and unlikely to cause a "logjam" when presented to a public crowd...

(esp if there is a straight crowd barrier accross the tips of the peninsulars)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

True, John - but I was imagining that the E/F on a larger scale - I'm not sure that the number of rails crossing joints, and requiring feeds, would make it a worthwhile proposition in anything of 4' x 4' dimensions- my thoughts were that the E/F formation would be used for a much larger layout, perhaps with scenic dividers down the arms - offering different scenics/parts of town each side

Archived