Ponderings - Hull Paragon

Ian XC

Hi All

I've been lurking reading this forum for a few months now, thought I'd register and post my current ponder! Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum!

I have been thinking for sometime about building a layout, having had one a number of years ago as a child, when we had a large house, must have been 2m x 3m, but was just basically a double loop and with all kinds of different eras going on.

The idea that keeps going around in my head is to model Hull Paragon station as it currently is, but I keep wondering whether I could be taking on a bit more than I can chew.. Although I also think I could probably make good inroads as the first bits I'd need to do seem relatively "off the shelf".

Layout would be from the Part Street bridge, which is conveniently just past the station throat, probably cutting off the spans of the station after Platform 7 (which are no longer used by rail) and would leave a nice open side to the train shed allowing a reasonable view. I've seen the Hornby terminus station spans which are suspiciously similar to the roof at Hull, along with a suitable art deco signal box (bit of modellers licence bringing it to the station side of the bridge).

For stock I was thinking:

Northern 158 (probably 2)

Northern 153

Northern 142

TPE 170 (not sure this exists - repaint job?!)

TPE 185 (again not sure it exists)

Hull Trains 180 (definitely doesn't at the moment!)

East Coast HST

CrossCountry 220 (bit of modellers licence - service to Glasgow via Carlisle)

(Although unfortunately I have a large collection of mainly Big 4 coaches along with a 73, 37, 33, a GW prairie and a green whiskers 1st generation DMU)

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this? You can tell me if you think I've gone crackers!

thanks

Ian

Ian - there was an article in Model Rail some while back where the authorvhad modelled part of Hull with the rest of the station omitted. Notwithstanding the fewer number of platforms it was still recognisably Hull and the concourse was still recognisable as it exists today. I reckon that your proposals will work just as well. Good luck with this

Paul R

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?

It sounds great!

You could also have a Class 144 - one's been passed today! And you can have as many Northern 158s as you want! I quite like the idea of a Cross Country service.

The Art Deco signalbox, if it's one by Bachmann, is nothing like Paragon - but one of the signallers from there is on the forum and may be able to help you on details. I'd make an real effor with the signalbox as it's a really distinctive feature which would place the model perfectly.

Thanks for the replies!

Any idea which issue of Model Rail it was? I'd really like to have a look at that!

You're absolutely right about the signal box, when I saw the model I thought I'd be able to do a cut and shut job on it, but clearly my memory of the real box wasn't up to it! As in 144s are now cleared to Hull? Theres also a nice new model coming up by Real Track so thats good!

I've been focusing on researching options at the moment, don't really want to be doing anything too big as going to be moving house. But I'm planning to get going with some stock and scenic items.

After much searching I've found a firm called Electra who print the necessary kit to make a TPE 170. I was beginning to fear there would be very few liveries available for me to run!!

Thanks again

Ian

Ian

The Hull MRS is holding a display of model railways at Paragon Interchange on the 20th & 21st August. Why not come along, see what stock is still using the station and have a chat with some of the local railway modellers?

Peter

Ian

What Peter says is a good idea,go to a few model railway shows and talk to builders and try and glee some information

it sounds like you have been buying stock ready for your own layout and want to have a go yourself with your own idea,s.

If i was you i would have a go at a small layout looking at your stock forget HST for the moment build a small terminus using your other stock.

9/10 who come into hobby have very big ideas but soon get fed up or it starts costing a fortune then it all grinds to a halt.

Looking at your stock look at something like Peter Street Station ideal, and not to large for a new builder to gain experience there is plenty of info on his great thread showing how the layout is built and how he does things?.(fantastic small modern layout)

http://www.rmweb.co....f0337aada4e4de8

Peter Street station starts page 16

Any way good luck which ever way you go.

Hugh

That does sound like a good plan Peter - its not far for me either - Hull is a pretty regular place for me to be changing trains or going to!

I've not actually bought any new stock yet, its just what I have stuffed away in boxes. Not sure any of it is right for what Im thinking of doing now so I think I shall probably sell most of it.

Thanks for the link to that very interesting thread (Peters Street Station) exactly the kind of thing I have been thinking about - and showing me that I probably should go for something a little less ambitious at this stage! Just quite what or where I really don't know!

Archived