Renumbering help for class 66s

Sorry if I'm being thick here, but nobody has mentioned how you overcome the horizontal ribs without destroying the new number. I get the T-Cut removal method for the old number - it's putting on the new number over several ribs that seems to be the biggest challenge!

For the record, if you read my first post with the photo, you'll see that I did exactly that. Microsol!

• 1 month later...

I've heard about people using Microsol & Microset when applying transfers to models to renumber/rebrand models. What is their function & what do they achieve? I'm also confused about the issue of varnishing... I have read posts where people apply varnish before applying transfers, some after...

Any advice much appreciated

• RMweb Gold

Varnish:

Transfers work best on a gloss background, hence many people apply a gloss varnish before painting (given that most modern image paints are only available with a matt finish.)

A 2nd coat of varnish applied after paint will then get the finish back to matt/satin as desired, along with protecting the transfers from damage. Further to that (and specific to the 66/67) I have found that a coat of varnish over the transfers will then help to keep the transfer stuck down into the ribs!

Microsol

This is a transfer softening agent, once applied it softens the transfer meaning that it will sit down over detail (very useful for transfers over the top of rivets, or getting it to sink between ribs.)

It is also very good at removing RTR numbers.

Microset

The inverse to microsol, this is applied after the transfer is in position and 'sets' the transfer locking it into the ribs, tbh I've had mixed results with it, not really seeing any difference. As such I often will only use microsol, then a coat of varnish.

Thanks for that Fatadder.

So am I right in saying you would apply Microsel to the area you are going to apply a transfer BEFORE the tranfer, then apply Microset afterwards?

And as for varnishing, would you just apply satin varnish to the area of the transfer...

Would doing the above reduce the impact of any carrier film around a transfer? I've recetnly re-branded a Bachy 150 unit with some Fox transfers & the carrier film is pretty obvious & spoiling the final result.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Fatadder.

So am I right in saying you would apply Microsel to the area you are going to apply a transfer BEFORE the tranfer, then apply Microset afterwards?

And as for varnishing, would you just apply satin varnish to the area of the transfer...

Would doing the above reduce the impact of any carrier film around a transfer? I've recetnly re-branded a Bachy 150 unit with some Fox transfers & the carrier film is pretty obvious & spoiling the final result.

Transfers applied to gloss varnish should help reduce the impact of the carrier film, I think matt varnish over the top also has a possitive effect on it but not as much as applying onto gloss.

With microsol, I wet the transfer as usual, get it into position and then apply microsol and let it soak for a min or 2. Once soft I then press down with a paint brush, (and if needed repeat the process). Once happy, I then apply the microset and leave to dry.

Archived