Vallejo & Tamiya paints

Hi,

I've used some of the vallejo paints and find them very good to work with. Unfortunately, I'm a little colour blind which doesn't help when it comes to matching paint colours so I need a bit of help. Does anyone know which Vallejo (or if not, Tamiya) paint colours are suitable for the Dutch engineers and INTERCITY liveries please?

I think these are all the necessary colours??

• Warning panel yellow (post 1998)
  • Executive dark grey
  • Executive light grey
  • Rail Red

Thanks

Tom

Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red is pretty good for Rail Red, or maybe you could try Vallejo 031 Flat Red. I thought about using Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow for warning panels but it's a bit 'too' yellow in my opinion! Sorry can't help with the others...!

• RMweb Gold

What I would do if it was me is get a decent side on shot of the prototype and buy the nearest shade of grey and lighten it with white, or darken it with black if needed until you get the 'nearest' shade.

Probably your best bet.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks Matto, will give some of them a try.

Nick, I'm not keen on mixing too much as I have 10 vehicles to paint and want to achieve as uniform finish as possible. Hopefully some others here may have settled on specific colours from the range.

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Nick, I'm not keen on mixing too much as I have 10 vehicles to paint and want to achieve as uniform finish as possible. Hopefully some others here may have settled on specific colours from the range.

I'm not suggesting for one minute to mix up masses, but if you record the amounts you use, e.g. 2 grey, 1 white then you can replicate it again.

Regards,

Nick

If you dont mind me asking. Whats wrong with the railmatch range which has the correct colours for what you want in both enamel and acrylic.

Cav

Hi Cav,

I've never got on very well with the Railmatch paints. I find the precision stuff good, but having tried the Vallejo I find it so easy to work with. So I'd rather work with it if I can.

Cheers

Tom

Tbh honest i dont get on very well with either railmatch or precision too. I find humbrol sprays through the airbrush much better, those makes are a necessary evil though to get our colours.

Cav

Archived