Ultrascale replacement DMU/EMU wheels

I got these wheels off Ebay and all I know is that written on a card is

Ultrascale Triang DMU/EMU 00 to EM gauge conversion, power bogie wheelsets and worms & trailer bogie wheelsets

post-1131-0-61357400-1308513071_thumb.jpg

Any idea which bogie unit I need please.

Thanks in advance

At a guess, they will fit one of the following types of Dmu/Emu power cars.

R156 Suburban Emu, Bogie type X120

R157 Class 101 Dmu, Bogie types X121/3121

R555 Blue Pullman Dmu, Bogie type X3121

The pin point axles supplied are fitted to the non-powered bogie.

K9-70

• RMweb Gold

It looks like they are for the 1950s/60s 4-wheel motor bogie fitted to the shorter than scale Metro-Cammell DMU & Southern EMU, I haven't had my hands on one for a long time but they were worm driven from a double-ended motor.

The more recent (Hornby 1970s onwards) bogies have gears on the back of one of the driving wheels driven from the ringfield motor.

Martin

Looks like I have the conversion pack A then, Diesel Railcar, Pullman & Suburban motor coach, so I need one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIANG-DMU-POWER-UNIT-AND-2-DUMMY-END-CARS-R157-158-/180681873129?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a117a96e9

or rather the 2 wheel bogie from it, anyway the next question please.

Are these units any good please, I have a MTK 3H that needs a power unit.

Is it worth re-wheeling one or am I better off selling them and putting the money towards a Black Beatle or one of the etched 2 wheel power bogies as the wheels on the conversion pack are 12mm not 14mm

Thanks in advance

I have an early Hornby Hymek with one of these dual-worm power bogies. I upgraded the wheels with the recommended Ultrascale conversion pack (Triang 4-wheel pack 'B') and a Neodymium magnet. It runs pretty well but it is excruciatingly noisy. I wouldn't advise using one of these power units for a new build.

Archived