The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

It's hot, humid -- and I'm not even supposed to be here

signalmaintainer

Check, check -- is this mic on? It is? OK, cue moan:

Signed up for a journeyman level signaling class way back in February. Make my flight reservations three weeks ago. Get on board the plane yesteray morning in cool, temperate Seattle and arrive in hot, humid Kansas City, Missouri, last night after a miserable connecting flight from Denver -- I really thought for a couple moments were going to auger in, the turbulence was that bad, worst I've ever experienced.:shout_mini:

Get on the shuttle bound for the hotel. Curious, my name's not on the rider list. Arrive at the hotel -- Hmmm, really, no reservation for me made by the company? (Clues #1 and #2.) Once in my room I search around on my computer for the class information. Clue #3 -- It's no longer on the list. That can mean only one of two things -- either my dates are wrong, or the class was cancelled and no one told me.

Yep -- class cancelled.

So here I am at 4:15 a.m. on short sleep trying to figure out my way back to Seattle. The only positive thing I can find so far is that I get paid for all my travel hours Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

Commiserations, Paul, on having such a wasted trip. Perhaps your avatar has a message here? Someone's sending you round in silly circles? No doubt you will find the guilty party and offer them suitable advice for their future guidance!

Sorry, mate.

That definitely - and unfortunately - beats my experience of arriving in York for a meeting which nobody had told me had been moved to Crewe (and at least I got there in time for the buffet lunch). Commiserations and I hope they pay well for Sunday time!

I read that as New York, first time round

Yup been there.

Arrived at the airport last month at stupid o'clock to find that the reservation system had unilaterally moved the month digit forward by one!

As for hot and Humid, try Muscat right now, going outside is not recommended, its 48c with 60% humidity .. apparently that means it feels lilke 120c!

Cant wait to get back to Aberdeen on Wednesday

Yup been there.

Arrived at the airport last month at stupid o'clock to find that the reservation system had unilaterally moved the month digit forward by one!

As for hot and Humid, try Muscat right now, going outside is not recommended, its 48c with 60% humidity .. apparently that means it feels lilke 120c!

Cant wait to get back to Aberdeen on Wednesday

Muscat makes KC sound like an Eden!

Commiserations, Paul, on having such a wasted trip. Perhaps your avatar has a message here? Someone's sending you round in silly circles? No doubt you will find the guilty party and offer them suitable advice for their future guidance!

Sorry, mate.

I think you're on to something re: the signal, Olddudders!

Archived