Uncoupler locations

Good morning,

The enclosed trackplan shows where I think uncouplers would be best placed. The uncouplers on the mainline were placed in such a way that:

1. Trains in either direction could uncouple wagons destined for the sidings whilst the train is allowed to foul the mainline during the shunting move (there is no second crossover on the mainline- no ability for the train loco to run around its train.

2. The uncouplers on the mainline are hidden by a crossing

3. The layout is a simple through station:

IMG_0271.JPG

The uncoupler in the long siding by the platform is to allow clockwise trains to leave a wagon which is destined for the sidings (see arrow) and they are pushed into the sidings by the yard shunter that would lurk at the end of the long platform siding whilst the train loco drops off the wagon.

Both the sidings on the right (see arrow) have additional uncouplers in each siding.

Will it work?

BTW the uncouplers are Kadee delayed magnetic type.

Tim (and thanks to all)

20110620_Trackplan.jpg

• RMweb Premium

You don't need the 3 in the sidings. As you have delayed action couplings just uncouple on the one on the siding marked siding and propel the stock in.

don't know how long your platforms are (they look mighty short on the plan)

and not sure how reliable the delayed type coupling you are using really is.

But think about the inbound platform (ok one without that signal) a loco coming has to be released from pulling stock just before the point whereas a goods type arrival possibly propelled in or simply to detach a brake will require it closer to the entrance to the goods yard.

To me the whole arrangement of crossovers to entering the goods yard seems a bit odd, it probably depends on what is off to the left of the plan and is the station a terminus or through.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Kris on the three sidings one uncoupler on the headshunt will do, but I would also move the main line one from between the points towards the end of the platform before the crossover there is a danger if uncouling between the points you could leave vehicles fouling the points.

Don

My thanks to all who responded and to Tim Maddocks who provided the definitive plan (including signals) for the goodsyard at Twinhoe.

Hopefully, this weekend will see a burst of activity installing uncouplers and marking out the positions of the signals- the tedious task of replacing all the sleepers that are missing at the baseboard joints (the offcuts from installing the uncouplers will be useful) followed by fitting the dummy point rodding, painting the track- then the start of scenery and the transformation from trainset to model layout.

Thanks

Tim

Archived