Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

please can we have some more...

No wishlist this...but....

Anybody trying to recreate the 19702/80s BR blue period could really do with some blue/grey Mk2 aircons, and for those of us interested in WR , some original HST sets. In fact my layout plan for the early 80s is completely stuffed and a non starter without them.

They clearly sell out (try buying blue/grey powwercars on that well known auction site) so please, pretty please let's have some more

and before anyone mentions it... I am aware of the chinese batch production system !

• RMweb Gold

I've often wondered do the companies produce the same number of open to brake coaches? (Using Bachmann's GWR Collett stock for example) Because when an item is stocked, they tend to run out at about the same time, exceptions being the Bachmann MK1 Full Brake, you seem to be able to get that one in any livery quite easily!

Regards,

Nick

No wishlist this...but....

Anybody trying to recreate the 19702/80s BR blue period could really do with some blue/grey Mk2 aircons, and for those of us interested in WR , some original HST sets. In fact my layout plan for the early 80s is completely stuffed and a non starter without them.

They clearly sell out (try buying blue/grey powwercars on that well known auction site) so please, pretty please let's have some more

and before anyone mentions it... I am aware of the chinese batch production system !

Producing what you need is what modelling is about. Otherwise it would be called buying... At least its just a few mods and repaint.

To be fair to you tho, the vagarities of the RTR manufacturer's livery choice sometimes baffles me.

I think that answers the question to a certain extent. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation actually becomes worse over the coming years.

There have been several threads both on the old and current site about a further run of Blue/Grey Mk2d's (or a re-tool? - Mk2f).

Unfortunately these did not feature very highly in this years MROL poll (see http://www.rmweb.co....mrol-poll-2011/).

Despite my D&E focued votes in the afore mentioned poll the highest scores were all steam subjects as follows-:

The 00 Top Ten:

1. GER (LNER) Class J15 0-6-0.

2. GCR (LNER) Class D11/1 'Director' 4-4-0.

3. LBSCR Class H2 4-4-2 'Brighton Atlantic'.

4. GER (LNER) Class D16 'Claud Hamilton' 4-4-0.

5. GWR Class 42xx 2-8-0T.

6. BR Class 8P 4-6-2 Duke of Gloucester.

7. GNR (LNER) Class J6 0-6-0.

8. Maunsell push-pull sets Nos.600-619 (Diag. 2407 BCK + Diag. 2023 SO).

9. Churchward 'Toplight' coaches, (1907-1922).

10. LNER Class P2 2-8-2

Getting back on-topic I have also got caught out by not buying previous releases at the time they were avaliable (particularly the R4216A/B blue/grey Mk2d TSO).

Therefore I learnt from my lessons and assembled a blue grey HST as the individual components became available, even though it took two or three years to make up the complete set (including the TRUB).

With my Virgin WCML electric sets it took a full TEN YEARS between acquiring the LIma Class 87/Hornby Class 90 and the recent Mk3b DVT. Even now there is the issue of an RFM in Virgin red livery.

It would seem that the moral of story is to buy it whilst you can (even if you end up with some 'turkeys' along the way).

I've often wondered do the companies produce the same number of open to brake coaches?

Regards,

Nick

Bachmann certainly has done hence the cheap RFU and RU mk1s you often got and the scarcity of SK/BSK coaches. Its a tricky one as ideally you'd want all the tools to get as much use and gain simpler accounting I guess. We have seen recent batches of a particular type of mk1 Pullman and mk2 coach though so it might be better policies now.

Blue/grey powercars on ebay actually sold for less than list price when they came out, mine were only £80. As they sell out in shops the eBay prices start rising I guess. We really need new mk3s not just a new batch of the old ones.. but um wishlist :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann certainly has done hence the cheap RFU and RU mk1s you often got and the scarcity of SK/BSK coaches. Its a tricky one as ideally you'd want all the tools to get as much use and gain simpler accounting I guess. We have seen recent batches of a particular type of mk1 Pullman and mk2 coach though so it might be better policies now.

Because I've often thought that the production runs on SK/SBK are never enough! Granted I do appreciate the whole supply/demand to maintain a decent price for the company, but I've often thought that SK and similar carriages are always in short supply. Hens teeth spring to mind at times...

• RMweb Gold

I had a similar situation a couple of years back, I had the power cars but not enough std open coaches. I had to wait until they did another batch to make up a full set, so if I were you I'd email Hornby or ring them to check another batch of power cars is likely and buy the coaches which are currently easy to find ;)

While I do agree about the B/G HST and the Mk2's etc, what is really needed for that time period is a

Large Logo class 56

Please!

Please!

Please!

(Thank you, Mr Kohler)

John E.

PS Hope that a plea for a 're-livery' isn't wishlisting btw.

Interestingly the current edition of 'Rail Express' Modeller (in reviewing 56040 Oystermouth) mentioned the same thing. Maybe Mr Kohler reads that magazine???

• RMweb Premium

Please Simon, bring back the green Brush Type 2 with headcode box. It was only in the catalogue for two years and now it is as rare as rocking horse s**t. A good model and plenty of livery variations of that tooling!!!

I strongly agree. I was lucky enough to get one at the time this model was introduced. It is such a nice model and I am sure was very popular with modellers. However I would like another. A Finsbury Park example would be good.

It's partly my own fault as I alternate modelling taste between early ews years and the br blue nostalgia......but i can't afford to stock pile models whilst they are in the shops for the future.

I know some wishlists have some esoteric desires , such as some obscure pre grouping tank engines but these items are vital to the period. It's like trying to model the cold war RAF without a lightning or Vulcan ....

It's partly my own fault as I alternate modelling taste between early ews years and the br blue nostalgia......but i can't afford to stock pile models whilst they are in the shops for the future.

I know some wishlists have some esoteric desires , such as some obscure pre grouping tank engines but these items are vital to the period. It's like trying to model the cold war RAF without a lightning or Vulcan ....

Whoops there's an echo...

I've often wondered do the companies produce the same number of open to brake coaches? (Using Bachmann's GWR Collett stock for example) Because when an item is stocked, they tend to run out at about the same time,

That doesnt prove anything either way, Nick. If Mr Retailer stocks them in (for instance) a 3:1 ratio, they could for all we know sell in that ratio as well

Bachmann certainly has done hence the cheap RFU and RU mk1s you often got and the scarcity of SK/BSK coaches. Its a tricky one as ideally you'd want all the tools to get as much use and gain simpler accounting I guess.

The surplus of RFU (RFO?) isnt surprising, a lot of expresses in the traditional era had a two-vehicle catering car set comprising a kitchen vehicle and a dining car, but not many modellers have room for that

This is going to be a perennial bone of contention and whilst I dont doubt the odd poor decision is made, it's evident to me that folk dont see the basic problem - Bachmann, Hornby or whoever dont know how long the average train is. By that, I mean that they dont know just how many seconds or CKs or whatever the modeller is going to buy for every brake or restaurant - the bloke who runs nine or ten coach trains will probably buy a BSK to go at each end, just as the bloke who only has room for five (probably) will, but the former will buy more 'plain' coaches to go in between them.

Unless I am very much mistaken, Bachmann have offered more catalogue numbered variants of common vehicles like the mk1 SK and BSK than most other mk1 types in the range. Of course, having no idea whether a batch run made to a catalogue number is always the same size, I am no wiser as to whether they have made more of the common types than the less common vehicles. But if each variant gets a same size batch run, then there have been more of the common vehicles made.

Guest eddie reffin

In a similar vain, why do we seem to always get the celebrity locos?

I was pondering this as I have spent a number of weeks trying to locate a bog standard Farish Freightliner 66. I could have bought any amount of Shanks or Bardon ones but the 2 ordinary ones are like hens teeth. The same situation with DRS ones- loads of Eddie and Malky but standard compass- Nope. I know that Dapol produced 8 different running numbers for each of the EWS,F/L and GBRf ones but they were not DCC friendly and I have started to shy away from their 66 in favour of the better running Farish product.

I realise that the variety of the modern scene means that there is a large number of different liveries around but the bulk of the locos are standard, EWS/Freightliner/DRS. GBRf seem to be the only ones who have sizeable numbers of the various colours but I dare say that this will change when the repaints get finished!

So, without this being a W******t, can we please have more of the standard stuff? No doubt many will say things like batch sizes, N gauge not popular enough, stock left on the shelf etc,etc but I know that there are many modellers who don't have the time, facilities or skill to repaint locos (especially in N) to the standard of current factory finishes. I probably fall into all 3 categories!

Cheers

Eddie

Is this maybe based on a perception that the manufacturers have about what we will or won't buy? Are they working on the theory that once you've bought a standard EWS or Freightliner-liveried 66, un-named 'banger-blue' 47, early-crest Black 5 or whatever, that you're more likely to buy another in a substantially different livery, than you would one which is pretty much identical apart from the number. I guess they may also be taking into account the 'collector' market

who may be keen on 'celebrity' liveries

How much does the same thing seems to happen with steam releases- thinking of my LMS interests, IIRC the first LMS-liveried releases of both the Bachmann Crab and Hornby Fowler 2-6-4-T a few years back were both Crimson Lake, a livery only seen in the fairly early years of both classes, although the arguably more 'mainstream' black versions followed on later.

This topic has shifted a wee bit.....

So the question is which other eras / areas have the models available (ie tooling) but are currently missing out due to the batch production system.

It appears the era I model will be defined by what is available to purchase when I have the cash. The early ews years continue to be a safe bet with a fantastic variety of wagons and a fairchunk of locos.

Plans for br blue put on thebackburner as I cannot afford to build the layout and hope the relevant stock comes along

Eddie

I guess that must be the situation in n gauge then . We are not badly served in oo I don't think for fairly anonymous locos . I think Lima used to bevthe worst for this - iirc 66001 and 66250 being in the catalogue !

Hi guys.

Re the original posting, I am absolutely over the Moon, having walked into a shop the other day, who had a Hornby blue/grey power car set for sale. Also picked up a couple of Bachmann MK2 tso's for sale, which seem to be very scarce as well.

It's worth checking out the model shops off the beaten track, as they can be little treasure troves.

Don't suppose any knows of a MK3 blue Hornby buffet car in stock anywhere, that's my next quest :)

Regards,

Lee.

Archived