RMweb

Leon

Hi Leon.

Its been a while .......

I have to say that the layout's looking fantastic. The backscene adds so much to the overall feel of the layout, and it just looks so much like S Wales. Its as if I can smell the industrial fumes ....

Leon

From your post above, it seems that like me, you've recently suffered a 'loss of motivation' - which we've both found again. (Down to a good holiday ? - it was with me).

Anyway, nice to see the FY Cl.59 - which got me digging thro my 'archives' and found the following I took at Cardiff Central on Saturday 18th August, 1990

All you need now is a 'Dutch' liveried Cl.73 a Cl.50 in one off blue trailing a solitary FY bogie hopper.

Brian

post-1599-0-64022500-1317796039_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-99397100-1317796062_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Brian, Thanks for the photo, they were on the the way to Barry Depot open day were they not? I have seen a pic of 59005 going through Newport with the British Steel Ore train on Flickr.

Just ordered name and number plates from Shawplan once they are fitted I can tone down that reflective silver...

Getting my interest back a little, not long back from Turkey myself. However I think the lack of a skylight in the attic is the main cause, the lack of natural light is depressing, also the costs of things dot help, your looking at £100 for a small rake of freight wagons ! I have a few wagons on order that will complete a departmental train, and a couple of Speedlink VAA vans.

Hope you all have a good wkend,

Cheers.

post-5554-0-69719700-1317930343_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-20444300-1317930365_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-98387200-1317930415_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-64930500-1317930439_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Leon

This is a cracking layout and it reminds m'e of my spotting days in newport in the early 90s. It really catches the south Wales look. The time period is perfect.

I seen the 59 and immeadietley thought of the Newport rail freight days. Remember them and the Barry open day. I was down there that day being about 12 if I remember rightly.

I did have some where a cracking picture of a RFD European class 47 straight out of the paint shop on Godfrey road Newport. 1 of them would look a treat on your layout. Come on Bachmann.

Keep it up

Leon

This is a cracking layout and it reminds m'e of my spotting days in newport in the early 90s. It really catches the south Wales look. The time period is perfect.

I seen the 59 and immeadietley thought of the Newport rail freight days. Remember them and the Barry open day. I was down there that day being about 12 if I remember rightly.

I did have some where a cracking picture of a RFD European class 47 straight out of the paint shop on Godfrey road Newport. 1 of them would look a treat on your layout. Come on Bachmann.

Keep it up

Hello Steve, your reply is just what I needed very inspiring, thank you. Godfrey Rd must have been a great place to spot.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

All the best

Leon.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Leon

Its good to see you back again with some new pics and a new loco, I just hope this rekindles the interest and leads to some more top progress as I always look forward to opening your thread whenever there's a new post! As you know I can understand your comments about loft dwelling and lack of natural light though, but don't let it get you down just sit back and look at what you've created already!

Remember them and the Barry open day. I was down there that day being about 12 if I remember rightly.

With Leon's permission, here's a few more shots of Barry Open Day, August 1990 - I haven't scanned the Cl.33 and Cl.37 hauled specials (yet).

It was one of the best Open Days I've attended, and was amazed at the variety of locos and stock on display.

Keep it Leon

Brian R

post-1599-0-82800100-1318057314_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-75832100-1318057333_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-14920000-1318057376_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-16034800-1318057412_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-73154800-1318057443_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-98833300-1318057492_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

HI Leon,

I haven't posted to your thread before but I have been an avid follower for sometime. I have to say the detail and quality of your modelling is superb. Please keep going with the layout development - its excellent when you add a post of new detail and of course loads of tractors too!!

Getting my interest back a little, not long back from Turkey myself. However I think the lack of a skylight in the attic is the main cause, the lack of natural light is depressing...

I know exactly what you mean about the lack of light available and to use the pun.... I have just seen the light myself. I have just fitted some 'under cabinet' lighting in my loft and the difference is absolutely amazing. I just don't know how I managed before. With better light I am able to work easier, and for that matter want to stay working for longer (SWMBO not happy with that though - can't please everybody!) and it seems to inspire me too. I would recommend these:

http://www.toolstati...0/sd3066/p53068

Usual disclaimer etc etc. They took about an hour to fit three of them but the difference to the 'working environment' is huge. I had the prompt about better light from Mark of 'Crossfields' fame.... and I haven't looked back since. Once in place you can change the tubes for 6500K (Daylight) ones if you really feel the need to but TBH these work fine for me.

HTH, keep up with the fantastic work on South Wales Freight

Cheers

Lee

Hi leon,

Always good to see an update, looks like the interest is back. My garage doesn't have any windows, I have plenty of lights though, so I stay out there for hours. :senile:

Nice pics of the open day br2975, I was on the Crompton railtour 33064 I think, I didn't get many pics of the open day, I think we were short of time and went for a bit of a bash on the Tractors, I mean why wouldn't you. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Hi guys, thanks for your post espc Steve and Lee. Brian Thanks as always for the pics, I jus based the weathering on 59005 from your pic so many thanks. its in the utility room drying at present. Hopefully get it back up on the tracks later.

Added the etched plates which look so much better, Im trying to get some Pathfinder headboards, I'm going to use her on one end of a rail tour, will give me the op to get some nice coaching stock in NSE, Intercity livery.

Apologies for missing anyone out. Comments really push me on so thanks again.

Added some pics of the 59 and some product placement for Stella, well I was toasting Wales win this morning....

post-5554-0-34182500-1318083967_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-79860700-1318083997_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-69419200-1318084014_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-06528100-1318084063_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work on 59005, what airbrush and paints do you use?

The paint are from Railmatch, frame dirt, brake dust & roof dirt. the airbrush I bought from ebay, they had sold loads of them. Not sure of the make, will find the box. Think It was about £60. Its a must really tho.

Nice work Leon, certainly tones down the silver of the 59. The etched plates look good also.

Thought you might like this pic of 59005 passing through Newport Station withGodfrey Road in the background.. I miss those days.

Now that would be a good model, The tunnel mouths, Godfrey Road and the end part of the platforms... Hmmmm one day lol

post-6849-0-68772200-1318094963.jpg

Glad to see you back dude

Scott

• Like 3

Thanks Scott and cheers for a great picture.

Been suspensded from work for nearly two weeks now so decided to spend my last bit of money on some rolling stock, after the mortgage was paid of course...

Took a couple of quick snaps, before they become weathered. Not great sorry, hopefully will get some better shots once they enter traffic.

The CAR Railfreight Brake van is a Bachmann, to go with the two Bachmanns I have, this will be used on MOD traffic and for propelling movents into the dock to sidings that have no run round.

The Rudd is also a Hornby, happy with the £7 price.

The Shark brake is Hornby, really nice model, this will now complete my short CE spoil train of 7 wagons.

The two VBA Box vans are Bachmann, these should fit in nice once dirty....

Also thrown in 66068 waiting to leave the yard with a freightliner.

post-5554-0-10314000-1318343495_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-94109100-1318343580_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-29982000-1318343619_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-17830000-1318343711_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-54383300-1318343752_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Leon,

Your class 59 looks good, the scary thing is I went up to Southampton and watch the first class 59s come out of the docks.

I like the brake vans too I have a couple on the work bench as I type, one is the railfreight red and grey one like yours the other is limited edition one with yellow stripes, both good little models, though I have added roller bearing axle boxes to mine as a few vans had them.

I have a pic of a Shark brake at Newport I will dig it out for you.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter, be good to see the brake vans on your layout if you have any pics?

Cheers David, just had news that I have been dismissed by work, so may have some more modelling time but no money to spend....

Thanks guys...

• Like 1

Hi Leon, Sorry to hear about your work. Nice photos, your 59 blends in nicely. You had better get cracking on those 30 tipplers!

Nice photo Scott, I look forward to seeing your model of Newport! I remember visiting when one of the British Steel blue Brush beasts was on the ores, quality!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear the job news Leon, they didn't find out you were a modeller did they? ;) :lol:

Is there any chance of an appeal or 'wrongful' case? The best of luck with finding a new position soon but in the meantime keep the pics coming fella.

Thanks Peter, be good to see the brake vans on your layout if you have any pics?

Cheers David, just had news that I have been dismissed by work, so may have some more modelling time but no money to spend....

Thanks guys...

Hi Leon,

I don't have any pics of the brake vans yet, I will take a few and post them up on my layout thread, I haven't done an update for a while so it's a good excuse to do one.

Sorry to hear about the job, hopefully you will find something else soon.

Cheers Peter.