S&DRT special

Yesterday was the annual jaunt down the WSR organised by the S&DRT behind 88, hopefully next year she will be repainted in authentic 'last livery' - late BR 53808, although unauthentic the blue livery does suit her. The day went well, with 4160, and the 'Mongrol' in steam with 88, plus the DMU. I didn't get to take a pic of 4160, she did the trip in, and out of Minehead at lunch-time, and I'd gone for lunch at the 'Old Ship Aground' at the other end of the harbour to avoid the 'grockles' which seemed to include an inordinate number of noisey stag parties.

70000 was at Williton, and Tornado was in the 'compound', out of photographic view, at Bishops Lydeard for use on the line today (26/06/11),haven't included the pics of 88 as there are plenty around everywhere else :D .

post-7336-0-15278800-1309096424_thumb.jpg

post-7336-0-68877000-1309096479_thumb.jpg

post-7336-0-32957000-1309096628_thumb.jpg

Looks like you had a great day out, Paul.

Sacrilege I know, but doesn't 3850 look great in BR black? Can't see the lamp iron that I own, it must be on the other side... :lol:

Absolutely, it was a great day out, also the 2800/2884 class, I must admit, is one of my favourites, and brings back many happy memories of having spent many happy hours in Southall, and Banbury sheds where many members of the class were always present, with my own personal favourite being 2899 only because I saw that one more often than the rest.

Yesterday was the annual jaunt down the WSR organised by the S&DRT behind 88, hopefully next year she will be repainted in authentic 'last livery' - late BR 53808, although unauthentic the blue livery does suit her.

Indeed Prussian Blue suits No. 88 very well. And, while we all know it's not authentic, it is so very pretty. I'm not sure I want to see her in black, but BR fans will love it.

The day went well, with 4160, and the 'Mongrol' in steam with 88, plus the DMU.

That's the first time I've seen the term 'Mongrol' for "9351". I must confess, that's really funny! :lol:

Nevertheless, while not in any way 'authentic' 9351 somehow still captures the Swindon look to me. I guess it's a derivative of standard Swindon parts that does it.

No matter, a day on the WSR is a delight.

9351 really upset the purists, but what the heck, the end result was a masterstroke, she is a cracking performer, as seen by the excellent start as the pic shows, she simply blasted out of BL.

The nickname was coined by a section of GW fans in Dorchester, and seems to be catching on as a term of endearment for the loco.

Archived