Mr Brunel's Hat. Episode 2: Back In Black

Having sketched out the plans of Mr Brunel's Hat (an Edwardian "gin palace", 98% based on the Old Blue Last in Shoreditch, London), I set about making the skeleton.

I followed my usual scratchbuild method, print out the plans on to A4 paper, glue the paper to the plastic card using a pritt stick, cut out the plastic using the plans as a guide (with a VERY sharp, new blade) and finally under lukewarm running water soak off the paper template.

Once the window and door apertures had been tidied up (which, in some cases, meant compensating for overcutting by glueing back plastic slivers to match the door/window, allowing to dry and then filing back), I then pondered how to obtain a curve...

Firstly, using overhead images of The Old Blue Last from Google Earth (and other programmes), I was able to calculate the approximate curve of the building. Secondly, I marked this angle out onto a sheet of 40 thou plasticard and then, using a piece of 40thou scrap to get the right spacing, I cemented 4 6mm square plastic blocks to hold the ends of the pub in place to maintain the curve. Finally, I used a technique I just had read about in the latest DOGA magazine to form the curve: I used an empty whisky bottle tin around which I curved the cut out plastic sheet (which was held in place by parcel packing tape), the tin was filled with boiling water and left for 5 minutes, after which it was placed under the cold tap. Once cold, the tape was removed and I had just the right amount of curve (first time lucky???). I then added the dividers - which serve as both formers for the mansard roof and structural strengtheners.

Unfortunately this time I only had black 40thou plastic sheet as raw material, so the photos below are not the best:

post-123-0-49947700-1309248067_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-38690100-1309248083_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-24025200-1309248099_thumb.jpg

If I can take some better photos, I'll post them.

Coming Up In The Next Episode of Mr Brunel's Hat: iL Dottore completes the masters for the intricate frieze, the decorative details, as well as the elaborate window surrounds. Has a fun time with silicon rubber (making the moulds) and pulling loads of resin copies! And in this episode of MBH - "Good Enough" is not acceptable....

As always, comments, etc...

F

I have used the boiling water technique to make arc roofs for wagons and carriages - wine bottles seem to be about the right diameter - but I had never thought of using it to produce the curved end of a building. Nice touch.

Best wishes

Eric

Archived