Servicing a motor

JonnyGT

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine has a OO model of a pullman diesel (Blue). The age of the model is very old and the motor is a little bit dodgy. He paid a year ago to have the motor serviced and cleaned. The loco ran but well but he tends to have it on display.

Coming to give her a run again the loco is very jurky and needs a prod along every so often.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to best clean and service the motor.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine has a OO model of a pullman diesel (Blue). The age of the model is very old and the motor is a little bit dodgy. He paid a year ago to have the motor serviced and cleaned. The loco ran but well but he tends to have it on display.

Coming to give her a run again the loco is very jurky and needs a prod along every so often.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to best clean and service the motor.

Thanks

Check the carbon brushes first - they may have burnt away.

As far as products go is WD-40

No !!

keep well away from motors - it and excessive use of oils will destroy motors.

The comment to clean wheels applies to all stock - use a fibre glass pen or brass brush and/cotton but dipped in isopropyl alcohol - the very same stuff you should use to clean track.

Pick out fluff and hairs and other debris with fine tweezers.

when it comes to lubrication I use a single drop of watchmakers oil on the gears (metal) on plastic gears you should use an appropriate grease (I don't have any plastic gears - so I can't recommend one - others will).

Guest Digital

Check motor spins freely with no sign of stiffness.

Remove and check carbon brushes for wear (replace if required).

Check commutator for carbon (where brushes make contact with motor).

Clean wheels and all pickups checking pickups in good contact with wheels.

Check wiring connections to motor are sound and insulation of wiring in good condition.

Lubricate motor bearings very very sparingly only tiny amount required.

John

If this is the tri-ang model witht he Tri-ang motor bogie, a common point of poor connection is the back of the brush spring where it contacts the phospher bronze strip. This often corrodes and needs a clean and might benefit from being pushed down to make sure the spring makes contact on this strip.

Sometimes the sprung pickups on the wheels do not make contact with the round brass part where they are clipped underneath between the wheels. If you are careful, you can remove the pickup spring and the C shaped bit in the middle can be squashed slightly so it makes better contact. Make sure that either end of the pickups are able to travel to the limit of the side to side play of the wheels. With the spring removed, bend slightly if necessary. Be careful with this spring as it can only be bent so much before it breaks and replacements are hard to find.

Make sure that the wire with small brass tag that fits behind one motor brush is not corroded. Clean if necessary.

These motor bogies are usually very robust. Some can be slightly rough performers while others are very smooth.

A service sheet for this motor bogie can be found at: http://www.modeltrains.net.au/Hornby/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=29

Damian M.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as products go is WD-40 and contact cleaner ok?

In my experience, WD-40 is a poor product. It is ok for interior door hinges but little else. For outdoors or anywhere which gets subject to even gentle heat, it will evaporate within a week or two.

Peco's Electrolube is much better for your models. It is a slightly thicker oil, so lasts much longer. Only use as much as you need & no more.

Archived