Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lyneham's last C-130

Steadfast

Hi guys,

Friday should see the last flight of a C-130 from Lyneham. It's due to do a tour of Wiltshire before going to Brize Norton.

Points West on Tuesday night had quite a detailed route map, but everything else I've seen has been quite vague? I don't suppose anyone has come across a vague guide to times at various points somewhere on the interweb?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

jo

As a past member of the ATC, whilst at camp the air experience flight was in a Herc ( C-130 ) and it has the dubious distinction of being the only aircraft I have ever felt sick in, never enjoyed that flight.

Hi guys,

Friday should see the last flight of a C-130 from Lyneham. It's due to do a tour of Wiltshire before going to Brize Norton.

Points West on Tuesday night had quite a detailed route map, but everything else I've seen has been quite vague? I don't suppose anyone has come across a vague guide to times at various points somewhere on the interweb?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

jo

Hi Jo

If you go to the BBC news website, there is a page on there that gives the route the 4 Hercs are taking. Believe the take off is at 10.30am.

Colin

I share "1C1's disgusting view that with the closure of Lyneham future casualties of war will be repatriated through a back gate at Brize Norton. Having witnessed a few repatriations on my way home from the Oxford area and seeing the wonderful gatherings at Wooton Bassett, this Goverment should be thoroughly ashamed of itself, particularly the PM and all of the Defence Ministers. As one who will shortly be losing his job as the results of the Defence Review I am particularly saddened at the closure of Lyneham and the ability of folk to pay their respects to the fallen. These are heroes who have given their lives for this country and I'm totally disgusted with this Govt's attitude to this matter. Rant over and I look forward to seeing the Hercules flying over my house as they have done so for the last 23 years. I will miss them trying to take the roof off!

Philip

• Like 4

Planned Route with timings:-

1030 hrs (Depart) Lyneham heading via west of Hullavington

1041hrs Colerne

Warminster

Trowbridge

Melksham/Devizes

Calne

1100hrs Chippenham

Lyneham Village

Wootton Bassett

Blunsdon area of Swindon/Shrivenham

1120hrs (Wheels down) Brize Norton

Allegedly ...

This is part of the RAF press release given on http://www.woottonbassett.gov.uk which differs a little from your route.

Best thing to do is just hang around staring at the sky :)

On Friday, 1st Jul 11, the last of RAF Lyneham’s Hercules fleet of aircraft will say a final farewell to the County of Wiltshire before their official handover to the Station Commander of RAF Brize Norton. The intention is to have the last of the aircraft transferring to RAF Brize Norton flown at low level, in stream formation to say a final goodbye to the people of Wiltshire. Departing RAF Lyneham at approximately 1030 hours, it is envisaged that the aircraft will follow a route that will start out by flying over Avebury, Calne, Devizes, Warminster, Melksham, Trowbridge, Colerne, Lyneham, Wootton Bassett, Malmesbury, Tetbury and the Blunsdon area of Swindon, before the final leg of the journey to RAF Brize Norton.

As a past member of the ATC, whilst at camp the air experience flight was in a Herc ( C-130 ) and it has the dubious distinction of being the only aircraft I have ever felt sick in, never enjoyed that flight.

My very first ATC Camp was Lyneham back in 1979, we had an air experiance flight in a Herc as well, oh and me and my mate did a 250' 'bounce' in the Herc simulator as well :blink:

The Flight in the Herc was nothing more than circuit'n'bumps, but the best bit was when the crew opened the rear doors and we sat on the edge, looking down over Wiltshire, we were strapped to the cargo hooks on the floor, but when the loady came up to the person sitting next to me, with the end of a spare strop and asked "Is this yours???" I've never seen anyone actually turn white before :laugh: :laugh: But I regretted laughing, 'cos the person next to me was a girl, and she had rather sharp finger nails, as my inner thigh found out :blink: :blink:

Oh hum happy days!!!!

It's going to be rather quiet in Wiltshire after Friday then!!!

Regards

Neal.

Thanks all for the comments and help - finally got the time to post a reply now, been keeping an eye on the thread on my phone up till now.

Planned Route with timings:-

1030 hrs (Depart) Lyneham heading via west of Hullavington

1100hrs Chippenham

Which it seemed to stick to, thanks for posting those Paul.

I'll get some photos up in a bit

Thanks again,

jo

Bye Fat Albert,I hope you like your new home.

Hi,

Just a small correction on that :tomato: , Fat Albert isn't that nickname of the C-130 fleet as a a whole.

In fact, Fat Albert is the nickname for the C-130 that is flown by the US Navy Air Demostration Squadron, The Blue Angels.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I've worked at Lyneham for lastt 11 years and myself and the crews there all know the herc by the affectionate name of Fat Albert!

So it might have started with the Blue Angels, but its fairly universal now!!

Matt

Matt

Indeedy, even my Grandma calls them Fat Alberts :laugh: They sure will be missed round here, hope all is well with you Matt.

Here's some piccies

The first plane (The K) took off and headed to the right of the picture. The next 3 (all Js) took off and went left, with the K bringing up the rear, heading north towards Tetbury. These two pics show 2,3 and 4 taking off

post-6899-0-29918800-1309628555_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-50052000-1309628563_thumb.jpg

Planes 2 and 3 swinging round to the north

post-6899-0-61681200-1309628616_thumb.jpg

After the tour of Wiltshire, they flew over Chippenham, then turned to fly over Lyneham and Wootton Bassett. This is taken near Foxham, with the planes about to pass over the base again

post-6899-0-40091000-1309628648_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-87120000-1309628656_thumb.jpg

A shame this will no longer be a regular thing around here, and it does leave you wondering about the future

jo

Amazing pics Joe, can almost hear the wonderful noise Albert makes as she rumbles across the skies. Was really miffed couldn't be there to see them leave home, but at least I have one here to play with!

Have shown your pics to the boys and crews out here, they where happy to see the old girls showing off.

You can always tell the K out the bunch, they leave such a lovely trail of black smoke, almost looks rocket powered!! But after 44 years of the graft they have been through think I'de be looking bit smokey.

Thanks buddy,

Matt

Hi Simon,

I've worked at Lyneham for lastt 11 years and myself and the crews there all know the herc by the affectionate name of Fat Albert!

Matt

yep, quite right Matt.

Hi,

Oh right, fair enough, I'll shut up then! :D

Simon