RNT and White Paint

trisonic

I'd been doing some digging for info in the 'States relating to the thread about track colour or rather the interesting point that some PW crews have been painting rails white in the UK to mitigate against heat.

I found the following document courtesy of Matt Goodman from the Journal: "Interface The Journal of Wheel / Rail Interaction" called Preventing Track Buckles by Gary Wolf.

I repeat the link here for all interested members of the USA & Canadian Railroads Group:http://www.interface...buckling/1.html

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting and I see they use stressing as well like they do in the UK. Will be interesting to see if any evidence of sun protection emerges like we've seen in the white paint thread and they do in Switzerland with light coloured stone.

To put it simply they lay rail at a high "rail neutral temperature" to start with so it is pre-stessed for higher temps. There is no evidence I can find of current use of white paint in the 'States.

Best, Pete.

Well, I find it difficult t o believe that it is more complicated in the UK than it is in the USA - and the temperature range possible over here is enormous. Just in the backyard of my home it ranges from -0f to 112f

(-17C to 44C) and we're in the North East!

Cost issue?

Best, Pete.

Sun kinks in rails are a potential problem pretty much anywhere in the US when temperatures rise above a certain point. I think the railroads have procedures in place where speeds are restricted at certain temperature levels, just as in California the railroads inspect track when earth tremors over a certain magnitude take place. My guess is that painting rails wouldn't have much effect in any case.

Cost issue?

Depends what you mean by cost issue - if it saves them money in delay minutes due to failures then it's worth doing

But as I pointed out on the other thread Network Rail operates in a vastly different framework to (say) BNSFs MOW department, just because one does something and the other doesn't - or one does things in one way and the other does something else doesn't mean one or the other is wrong...

True dat; Martyn.

Anyway the article is interesting - I'd never heard of this Journal before.

Edit: I changed the title of this "Topic" - whilst in legal terms "versus" simply means "and" it could be taken to be confrontational in modern English - which this topic isn't.

Best, Pete.

Strange that, the temperature in Chicago was only 96f (36C) that day. Those coaches look like they've bent in the middle........

Chicago can have two solid weeks of 100F+ days in a bad year.

Best, Pete

Archived