Model Railroader Special: Railroads of the 1950s

steve1

Jean bought me this the other day.

Extremely useful and interesting. It shows how to set your layout/pike in the decade in question. It covers locos, freight cars, cabooses, passenger and freight operation,architecture and road vehicles, plus a couple of freight car projects (wood-sheathed reefer & TOFC flat).

My only criticism, and it is slight, is that the layout articles seem a bit like filler and the space could have been used for something else.

Mind you, at £3.95 it's a bargain for what you get. Kalmbach are excellent at this sort of thing and it's a pity UK mags don't try something similar. I wonder if there will be editions for other decades? I certainly hope so, a 1960s one would be very handy.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Kalmbach do this sort of thing very well indeed and I liked the fact that they found space to include articles about buildings and road vehicles of the featured decade, not just the locomotives and rolling stock. I certainly would like to see similar publications dedicated to the 1960s and '70s. Their quarterly prototype railroad magazine 'Classic Trains' also includes much of interest from these decades (and others) with a wealth of information, period atmosphere and excellent photographs of great value to modellers, while their monthly 'Trains' manages to mix old and new in a very approachable manner.

Archived