Millbourne Lane Fuelling Point

Hey all,

As some of you may be aware, this years challenge gave me a kick up the backside to get back into railway modelling after an almost 2 year absence. Anyway, I seemed to be coming a little unstuck when it came to the wiring element of things. I got it to work but it was a very messy job and not something I'm overly happy with.
So, when a small N gauge shelf layout came up for sale on a well known auction site, I decided to have a bid on it. Turns out that I won it and have been to pick it up today. I am very happy with it as it is almost identical to one of my original track-plans during my early challenge planning stages. The only difference being that this is a little narrower and quite a bit longer (that may have been an issue I was fighting against in the challenge).

Currently it's DC operated and doesn't have point motors installed although holes were drilled by whoever made it originally so they'll probably be added at some point. It also did have isolating sections but the switches for them were damaged on delivery to the guy I bought it off so he just connect the wires up underneath but it should be simple enough to add some simple toggle switches back in.

I'm toying with the idea of DCC but the problem that I can see at the moment is that the rails leading from the "vee" of the points do not have insulating joiners but could this be "cured" by simply slitting the rail there with some kind of dremel tool?

Anyway, I think that's enough talking for now. Pictures say 1000 words anyway apparently. So here are some of those.

Overall view showing detachable fiddle yard.
IMG_6836.jpg

DB Schenker 66 152 enters under the bridge whilst DBS 67 018 is parked up in an overgrown siding.
IMG_6822.jpg

67 018 now has its turn to exit under the bridge whilst EWS 60 052 is now parked up in the siding.
IMG_6832.jpg

3 Class 60's awaiting fuel/drivers. They should hopefully all eventually be transformed into more contemporary variants.
IMG_6844.jpg

67 001 takes on fuel whilst the DBS 66 pulls out to run around to the other fuelling road.
IMG_6831.jpg

Now that the 66 is on the fuelling road the EWS 60 can now shunt out and back to the main line.
IMG_6828.jpg

Another overall view showing just the scenic board this time with all stock "on shed".
IMG_6851.jpg

Thanks all for reading,
Tom N.

• 2 years later...

So here I am again chaps. After quite an absence from the hobby due to various changes in my living arrangements, I think I'm at a point where I have a level of stability to be able to get back into modelling again.

I still have Millbourne Lane in my possession and it's seen quite a bit of running lately.

To prove it, here's a few pictures of some recent additions.

class70edit.jpg

New class 70 for a nice price at TINGS a few weeks ago.

NRHSTedit.jpg

Another pick-up from TINGS. This time a Dapol Network Rail HST.

67029edit.jpg

67029edit2.jpg

Bought this second hand recently as I made the mistake of selling off all my stock a few years ago when I was short of money. This is one of the items I was really pleased to get back. Still looking for 2 Farish British Steel Blue Class 60's which were my pride and joy.

60011edit2.jpg

60011edit.jpg

This wasn't a recent purchase but it's now got pride of place in my fleet. I bought this as a present to myself a few years ago. It was originally the Mainline 60 in the above photos but I sent it off for the Mercig treatment and I couldn't be happier with it.

Hopefully have some more to add to this in the coming weeks as I'm expecting a visit or two from the postman.   :)

I'm also at a point where I would like to actually construct my own layout this time. Hopefully even finish it.
With that in mind I'm going to start posting some pictures of my plans and hopefully construction soon enough.

Tom.

Thanks very much Mickey. I agree it does have something about it. That's why I was initially drawn to it.

Millbourne Lane has mostly been a photographic backdrop since buying it as the running potential is a bit limited. With that in mind I'm starting a new thread to document my new project which is on a massive scale when compared to this.

However, I'll still use this for taking some snaps of my new purchases and I'll start it off with a couple from this week.

Dapol/Modelbahn Union Class 67 026 in Diamond Jubilee livery. Lovely model and managed to pick it up for a decent price second hand.

Also the EWS Inspection Saloon from the N Gauge Society.

egsDgWil.jpg

I cannot get over how much of a stunning model the inspection saloon is. My stock is from a pretty broad timeline but I'd be willing to stretch it even more after seeing what a great little model it is. Massive props to both the NGS and also Farish for making such a great RTR model.

v5X0dmRl.jpg

Tom.

Archived