Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

detailing for Hornby class 90

hello everyone,

I am going to rename my class 90 soon but i think it needs more detailing too so i'd like to know if and where i could get a detailing kit for the Hornby class 90? hope you fab guys can help me once again.

thanks

Harry

I don't know about a kit, but there is definitely a topic on these forums with plenty of photos showing the detailing process - try a search. I'm sure someone who can actually remember the author will be able to point you in the right direction if not.

I did a thread on this over in weathering abd repaints etc. Its called intercity class 90. i cant link as im posting off my phone but im sure youll find it.

Cav

wow :O that is amazing! I dont think i will be able to reach that standard yet but i like how you've done the modified buffer beam :) i'd like to modify the buffer beam, install a lighting kit & remotor it :) how long has it taken you to modify your class 90 as it's fab! :D was remotoring it easy?

post-4274-0-38033500-1310049041_thumb.jpg

post-4274-0-84472800-1310049065_thumb.jpg

Hi there!

I wish too that someone would introduce a detailing kit for the Hornby 90. Considering it's still a well used loco it would be great to see a good quality model of it.

I did try to do a bit of a late night detailing stint with Hornby's quite limp effort of a 90. I must admit as far as prototypical accuracy goes I'm possibly not up their with the Likes of Jim Smith or the Fat Adder (and it shows).

The toughie was trying to get the skirt right, maybe the likes of PH Designs might come up with something. I ended up using some clear plastic from the packaging on some glue which had a very close profile to what was needed, the struggle was in trying to bring it inline with the Hornby chassis. Looking at it now I think I would do it a different way, but I had set myself a night to finish the detailing. The various hoses and connections where gleaned from spares from Heljan and Bachman loco's (47 and 37's I think) and the rubbbing plate was some waste from a MK1 carriage detailing etch. The buffers are completely wrong in that I think they are from a 60 rather than a 90...... I think you might see where the error came from kids. The coupling is from a Bachmann carriage, although again I got it wrong in it's positioning as it should be straight up rather than hanging. Amazing how you always find exactly the picture you need after the glue has gone off.

I struggled a bit with the yellow front. people rave on about Phoenix paints but I found there yellow terrible to use. even doing lite passes ended up in watery swags!!!

As said it was a one night hit at what is in my opinion a weak model. There are others on here who have made far better jobs of it than me, but thought you might like a different project to look at.

This is very much what i want to do but if anything i'm most concerned about doing the skirting bit as it seems a bit awkward to do, i know theres as class 90 lighting kit so i will get one of those and also i was speaking to a fellow club member of the tdmrs and he told me about putting a second motor into the 90, chip them and have both motors set as a double header as an easy option, i think i will do this but will need to get a motor that works as i have a donor western but the motor doesn't work on that, plus i'd prefer a new one ;)

Archived