RMweb

Google search - by Images

Penlan

I use Google search with Images a lot, today things seem to have changed.

I have IE8, always with the images there were say 16 pictures on screen with a page number top LH corner in the display area, by pressing 'page down' page 2 and another 16 images appear, etc., down to about page 15 - my results like this have been there for about 2 years.

Today, things seem to have changed, there's a left hand column which cannot be scrolled down/up, there is evidently some data on the edge of the bottom of the screen and I can extropolate there is more further down off screen.

There is not a page number at the top of the display, there's only 16 pictures displayed, you can scroll down the area where there should be pages/pictures, but it's blank.

There's no facility to go to next page - e,g, Name Google at bottom of page and a line of page numbers to select from - they are not there, which as there are say 51,200 images for LNWR, I can only see the first 18... there's no facility to move on.

Finally, next to bottom 'bar' at left hand edge it shows 'Error on Page' rather than 'Done' - OK, I know that might be a clue, but why.............(and not that it's a clue).

Anybody know what's happened, please.

• RMweb Premium

The standard Google search page has also changed to a different format. It looks as though they have had a makeover across the board. It seems to be the way that when such things happen that we the users often get compatibility issues and errors until everythign settles down.

I've had the black bar across the top for a week or two, but that was just a cosmetic thing for me.

This posting is from my wife's laptop (I'm on Coastwatch duty), using Google Chrome there's no problem,

black bar across the top, left hand side menu can be scrolled and the pictures can be scrolled down over many pages.

When I get back to my own PC, will check if it's corrected itself

- doubt it, I've just tried accessing Google via IE8 or 9 on this laptop and still have the same problem.

As there has been a number of Microsoft updates very recently,

I presume (dangerous thing to do) one of them has corrupted it's own product (IE8/9) or they don't like Google!