If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

just getting to grips with things..

mr magnolia

took me a while to work out what had happened to the previous site - I think I registered and posted first just as things were changing.

Don't think I'll have too much to offer most on here, but thanks in retrospect and advance for all of the useful info and opinion that I've read, and hope to continue to read.

I have a small (1450x600) n-gauge layout that I'm developing with my girls (9/7/5) so we're learning it all together - layout/operations/wiring/scenery.

its set approximately in 11 December 1958 (diesels, but) and started life as our local Portobello / Brunstane section of the Waverley line with the Edinburgh south-suburban loop to explain its round and round nature, but its now a folded loop with internal terminus, having morphed into the set track love child of Greenock Central and Bogston, so that I can explain the gradients and have some retaining walls and short tunnels, as well as very wet looking fields! Our ambition is to achieve full 'train-set' status plus scenery and then transfer our skills (hah!) to another 'proper' layout in, oh, about 5 yrs time...

The two layout options are connected by both an opportunity for SPT livery DMUs in due course, and the fact that I regularly travel from one to the other.

My wife thinks I'm a sad nutter (although that thought may not be connected only with train modelling) but is happy that the girls like the idea.

At another random point in time I want to connect my cycle-trainer (the machine that I sit my bike on and pedal during the dim and dismal months) to a gizmo (yet-to-be-defined) that will drive a DC current output and connect that to a track in the shed outside.

At another random point in time I want to connect my cycle-trainer (the machine that I sit my bike on and pedal during the dim and dismal months) to a gizmo (yet-to-be-defined) that will drive a DC current output and connect that to a track in the shed outside.

"Faster daddy, faster!"

That's just madness - you'll be very welcome here

Archived