LNER 4-wheel pigeon van diagram 120 BR colour scheme

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

After the RM Web members day i'be decided i'm going to get back to finishing my own projects off.

One of these is a Chivers Finelines LNER 4-wheel pigeon van diagram 120.

At the moment i'm adding the brake gear and about to make the air, vacuum and steam pipes.

However, for around the late 1950's to mid 60's, what colour scheme should it be in?

I've found a colour photo of one in brown on the southern region in 1959 but can't see the markings and appears to have black ends but there is a very good black and white photo showing the markings but doesn't say what the colour is.

If i was to go for the brown version which will certainly be different, what available colour would you recommend?

If i was to go for the brown version which will certainly be different, what available colour would you recommend?

Two senarios : They entered BR in 1948 carrying brown livery (grained teak most likely). It is unlikely this livery was still extant by the late 1960s. The ones repainted between 1948-56 were carmine red.

Post 1956 the D120's would be eligable for unlined maroon. Maybe it looks brown because it was never cleaned. Lots of non-passenger carrying vans took on an overall coating of brown from the railway environment.

• RMweb Gold

The photo of what looks like brown version looks extremly clean and shiny and shows the colour very well of which its quite a dark shade, even has a white patch on the side which is clean.

its the first photo you see in "southern branch lines" by michael welch if anyones got that.

Two senarios : They entered BR in 1948 carrying brown livery (grained teak most likely). It is unlikely this livery was still extant by the late 1960s. The ones repainted between 1948-56 were carmine red.

Post 1956 the D120's would be eligable for unlined maroon. Maybe it looks brown because it was never cleaned. Lots of non-passenger carrying vans took on an overall coating of brown from the railway environment.

As Coach says these were in the full teak finish under the LNER - like the magnificently restored one on the North Norfolk railway here.

When painted crimson/carmine they were often given a chalk panel at each end between the upper beading - is that what you can see as a white panel on your photograph?

Some of the maroon ones were lined, I seem to recall.

It's unlikely they'd have been painted brown, but not impossible. What style is the lettering, that might give it away.

You can see the panels on mine, before it was weathered:

chivby2_zps8f76799b.jpg

If you search back on the old forum there was some pretty thorough (and heated) discussion of this kit so you may well find all the possible livery permutations in there.

• RMweb Gold

The white panel is in the same location as on your model.

I can't see what the style of lettering is as the doors are open covering them!

When painted crimson/carmine they were often given a chalk panel at each end between the upper beading - is that what you can see as a white panel on your photograph?

What style is the lettering, that might give it away.

chivby2jw6.jpg

As Coach says these were in the full teak finish under the LNER - like the magnificently restored one on the North Norfolk railway here.

Some of the maroon ones were lined, I seem to recall.

It's unlikely they'd have been painted brown, but not impossible. What style is the lettering, that might give it away.

chivby2jw6.jpg

If you search back on the old forum there was some pretty thorough (and heated) discussion of this kit so you may well find all the possible livery permutations in there.

That just to clean Jonathan

In the Historic Carriage Drawings book vol 3 page 22 there is a pic of one in lined crimson

5550967983_8df5e162bf_z.jpg

4mm BR ex-LNER 32ft 4 wheel brake van built from the Chivers kit by Mozzer models, on Flickr

You mention fitting air pipes but I can't imagine there would be any of those in 1959/60?

Many (all?) of these were dual braked from new with vac and Westinghouse air-brake for use on the GE section, which still used it. The one on the N Norfolk arrived there with the pipes intact so presumably had carried them all its life.

Many (all?) of these were dual braked from new with vac and Westinghouse air-brake for use on the GE section, which still used it. The one on the N Norfolk arrived there with the pipes intact so presumably had carried them all its life.

Ah I learn something new every day, thanks :).

Archived