CoBos on Waverley Route

Alan Rintoul

I am amazed at the ammount of info that is on this site regarding the old Waverley Route, well done to everyone who has contributed, it is certainly a veritable mine of information.

Living in Edinburgh, I have always been interested in the line although my apprenticeship of loco spotting did not start until I was 11 years old in 1969, just after the line closed. I went on a railtour in October 1971 formed of a Met Camm DMU that did the line as far as Lady Victoria pit and had a stop at the closed Eskbank station which still had a running in board sign in place. Unfortunately I did'nt own a camera at the time so dont have any pics.

One thing that I have always wondered about is if any of the Metro Vic Co Bos ever worked over the line. I feel sure that one must have made it from Kingmoor to Millerhill due to the unavailability of another suitable loco, but no one has so far been able to confirm or deny that such a working ever happened.

Obviously it would have had to be an out and back working with a Carlisle crew as Millerhill and Haymarket crews would'nt have had the required traction knowledge.

One of my colleagues dad was a second man at Haymarket in the last days of the Waverley Route and he has told me that the only diesels he worked over the line were BR Sulzer types 4s (classes 45, 46 and 47). Sulzer type 2s (classes 24 and 26)and EE type 4s (class 40s). The Millerhill drivers drove Claytons and EE type 3s (class 37s)as well as the 40s, Peaks and 47s.

I hope some of this info is useful and that someone can come up with any thougts on Co Bo workings.

This is another of my "often wondered" questions .... but all the evidence to date suggests none ever made it. I'll keep trawling the contemporary records though as it would be one of the Holy Grail pieces of info for WR locos.

Hi Alan, in view of the poor reputation for reliability that the MetroVics enjoyed,

things would have had to have been desperate indeed for Kingmoor to risk putting one

of these poor things out over the Waverley Route. They were used on the Condor

overnight freights up to Glasgow over Beattock but usually in pairs just to be safe.

It's still an interesting thought all the same.

Jim

In fairness, Carlisle only really had WR power commitments when Canal was alive, and at this period, the Co-Bos were gainfully employed or in store from/ at other depots. By the time they'd returned to the Cumbrian Coast, based at Upperby, Canal had shut and it was up to Kingmoor to return stray 64A and B power whence it came, whilst sending the least possible LMR traction towards Hawick. It's apparent that 12A was reluctant to trust its own Claytons over the Waverley, so I suspect Control wouldn't entertain the idea of setting a sister '12' depot's ten-wheeler off towards the Holm.... :blink:

• 4 months later...

I have in my possession a list (compiled by Hawick enthusiasts) of locos known to have reached the town and no Co-Bos feature. Of course it's always possible that one may have slipped through unnoticed and the list cannot be considered as definitive, but I think it's a very strong indication.

Bill

Hi 'Chard,

Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad you've been enjoying my photos on Railscot. I'm only sorry that I have nothing of the WR (except around Niddrie North post 1/69) but I only got a half decent camera late in that year. However there are still plenty of shots around Edinburgh (and further afield) to come, including more Claytons in colour, some of which should be appearing very soon.

Bill

Archived