Wadebridge Station (NCR)

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

An interesting might-have-been. As already indicated, the date of this "improvement" would very much influence the station design. I would suggest that the best precedents would be post-grouping, and that the Southern would select Art Deco architecture in preference to anything pre-grouping or vernacular. Which in turn would lead me to either Seaton or Exmouth stations for inspiraton. Exmouth, with its two separate single track routes opening up to four platform roads should satisfy the most ambitious, and there's the added bonus of the harbour freight line. Also, of course, both Ilfracombe and Okehampton station buildings were Southern to the very core.

But if a pre-grouping setting is considered essential, then Bude might tick a few boxes.

PB

Hi Peter

Having already got the 'built a typical NCR station building' T-shirt, the idea of Art Deco interests me as something different from what I and others have done before. I do like the whole 'building in concrete by the seaside' look. I was at Exmouth last year and noted there was still a lot of sea front concrete (shelters etc) around.

The main thing before sizing the station is to work out / take a view on how busy the Wadebridge - Newquay line would have been. Same as NCR or more like the Bodmin route(s)? Lots to think about.

• RMweb Gold

Good grief that's a substantial doc! I'm sure many others would be interested in the contents. Worth a thread in its own right? Looking forward to reading the Cornish bits with interest. Many thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion, have started one here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40829-what-might-have-been/

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, had a look now.

The routes that interest me are as follows:

Railways authorised by the Central Cornwall Railway Act 1865

A Railway (No. 1) commencing in the Parish of Saint Breock in the County of

Cornwall by a Junction with the Ruthern Branch of the Bodmin and Wadebridge

Railway at a Point thereon near the Termination of that Branch at Ruthern Bridge,

and terminating in the Parish of Kenwyn in the said County by a Junction with the

Cornwall Railway at a Point thereon Eastward of the Eastern End of the Passenger

Station of that Railway at Truro.

A Railway (No. 2) situate wholly within the Parish of Saint Colomb Major in the said

County, commencing by a Junction with the Railway (No.1), and terminating by a

Junction with the Newquay Railway at a Point thereon Eastward of the Point where

that Railway crosses the Turnpike Road leading from Saint Colomb Major to Truro.

Source: Statute Law Repeals: Consultation Paper

Abortive Railway Projects – Proposed Repeals

• RMweb Premium

Some sellers of old books advertise copies of the act on the web as well.

I saw those advertised but that's something I'd want to see in person rather than over the net before parting with cash. You never quite know what you're getting with old docs!

Archived