n gauge layout track plan needed. Please.........

hi,

i'm good at building things but useless at designing them, i there for am in desperate need of some good links or pictures of N gauge track layouts, my layout is going to be about 10ft x 5ft, i preferably would like to have 5 or 6 individually run live tracks that run in a circle so all the trains can keep going round and round, with sidings or off shoots to house a further 5 or 6 trains, i want to keep the turnout points to a minimum preferably, and would like a fair bit of space for building town scenes and roads etc..

i've doodled and doodled track plans but i cant seem to do anything i like and am after a bit of help,

thanks.

5 or 6 loops is probably excessive but the space is good for something interesting and substantial, however I think we need to know more. So a few questions :-

1) do you have access all around the layout ( or at least down both 10 foot sides ) this is because 3ft is about the maximum you can reach on average, so you need a central well if it's up against wall.

2) what era of trains are you running?

3) what TYPES of train are you running? Mainly passenger, pick up goods, goods serving local industries etc.

4) do you need a fiddle yard?

5) Do you want a station?

6) Not 100% relevant but are you running DCC or DC?

7) Are you hand building your track or buying it, happy to use flexi track and electrofrog points?

Kat

Hi, thanks,

to answer your questions,

1) i have direct access to the the front and one side, the base structure is on wheels so i can move it to get to other areas, i'd rather not have a central well.

2) you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, i've go a load of BR blue, network southeasts, and intercity mk1 -3 liveries.

3) half coaches, half wagons

4) i hadn't planned too have one but am not totally apposed to it.

5) yes and i wanted quite a few platforms.

6) dc

7) i have 50 lengths of flexitrack and a load of insulfrogs.

Setrack points or the better streamline or finescale points?

Regarding access, be aware if you have a derailment at the back you will need to move things to gain access, also are you using pointmotors because if not you'll also need acess for them?

Unless you are very careful and have a very smooth floor then moving the layout on wheels will just make the trains fall over. I'd suggest you provide a hole in the middle at least for access if not for operating. Work out how far you can reach at the height of the layout then remember that the scenery and other tracks will get in the way.

In that kind of space you could fit a 4-track main line in N gauge and maybe another 1-track or 2-track line going round at a higher level. A full-length HST is about 5ft long so you should have space for a reasonable sized station along one long side and a fiddle yard on the other. I'd recommend at least leaving space to add a fiddle yard later, in the form of several parallel loops on each track, as it allows you run a more realistic variety of trains.

Just a quick plan, used railmodeller to create it The biggest problem you have is the number of points, as soon as you go for 4 tracks even for something as fairly simple as this you have a large increase in pointwork.

The station is on the right hand curve and is a junction station giving two lines curving away through the station. In the middle you have a headshunt feeding a runaround loop which forms the exchange area for the 3 industrial sidings serving a modern facility such as oil or steel ( to name two ) .

post-11540-0-20963400-1309993237_thumb.png

I'm sure I've made a mistake with the pointwork somewhere but I think it's right. You don't technically have a fiddle area but could adjust the tracks to fit a couple of extra sidings in. I think this operationally could be fun and there is plenty of room for scenery. I would have the station disapearing into a tunnel part way in ( negating the need for a long platforms ) with a townscape extending all the way round to the other side.

Archived