Spare torpedo vent for SR Maunsell and other coaches

Signal Mike

Hi All

I am new to RMweb.

Following advice some time ago on dismantling the new Hornby Maunsell coaches, I bought a set of three and duly removed the bodies from the underframes/bogies.

Sadly whilst I was handling the bodies, two of the many torpedo vents came loose and dropped out of the roofs of two coaches. I found one, but the other one has gone missing. Does Hornby offer a spares service for such teeny items I wonder?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Dart Castings catalogue number 2940 looks like a reasonable match (although the torpedo part of the ventilator seems to be longer on the Hornby roof than the cast item), but if that's all you can get, it will blend in pretty well once painted and the roof weathered.

Dart Castings and MJT are the same company.

I recently received a brand new Maunsell from Hattons minus a torpedo vent - so I wrote asking for one and they very kindly supplied two.

So you might also ask your friendly local model shop to find out if they have any spares...

An alternative would be to buy a Maunsell cheap and cannibalize it :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Another problem with the Maunsell coaches - superb though they are - is the tendency of the door hand rails to fall out. I was happily looking at one of my coaches when I realised that several had gone AWOL. As Bill suggested, a spare coach purchased cheap at Modelzone solved the problem (and also the chance to scratchbuild a new body for a buffet car on the Hornby chassis). My local Modelzone still has a stack of Maunsells for sale.

Another problem with the Maunsell coaches - superb though they are - is the tendency of the door hand rails to fall out. I was happily looking at one of my coaches when I realised that several had gone AWOL. As Bill suggested, a spare coach purchased cheap at Modelzone solved the problem (and also the chance to scratchbuild a new body for a buffet car on the Hornby chassis). My local Modelzone still has a stack of Maunsells for sale.

Hi. I bought my coaches for cash at an exhibition and I have no record of the dealer. I dont have a local Modelzone either.

If you have bought a Maunsell coach to rebuild, is there any chance you could spare me a torpedo vent that you can do without? I will pay for it of course.

Yours in hope.

Mike

I had the same problem- I just phoned up Hornby, and got some in the post a few days later.

Interesting. I emailed them and was told they dont deal direct with the public. They gave me a list of Hornby dealers (the website given did not seem to work) and the name Peter Spares, who tells me that he cannot supply spares for coaches!

I must try phoning them.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at my rake of Maunsells last night and spotted a missing torpedo vent - seems as if they're glued in quite lightly. Mine have received little handling other than being removed from the box and placed on the layout. I will source a spare from my kit box; as CK says they will blend in well enough even if there are slight detail differences.

Archived