Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Repainting a loco

• RMweb Premium

Can you tell us a little more please? The technique might differ depending on the original loco and its finish, and also which paints you propose to use.

Depending on the donor model you may need to strip the original paint finish off first before you consider respraying.

If it is a kit build you will almost certainly need to strip it but RTR can be a little more challenging.

The March 2011 Hornby magazine had an article in which they repainted a Railroad Class 40 and gave it other extras.

All they did was to give it was a coat of primer then apply the actual colour.

With the primer left to dry overnight, the first light coat of BR Standard loco green was applied with Railmatch aerosol. Apply thin even coats to the body for a good finish, allowing each to dry fully before adding the next.

I would not strip the model first - just thoroughly wash the body to remove any grease/oil then a light coat or two of Halfords grey primer followed by your Brunswick green.

As when doing any spraying keep the coats light to avoid runs, spray in a reasonably warm environment and allow 24 hours between coats to ensure thorough curing.

You don't need to prime the model if it's already green. The more paint you add to a loco, the less detail you'll be able to see, Successive coats of paint will fill up the moulded indentations (e.g. joins between boiler cladding plates) and will round the edges of protrusions which should be sharp.

For best results, strip all the factory paint and start over. Only apply primer where the ability of the top color to cover is doubtful, e.g. the red on the buffer-beam will benefit from a red oxide primer or a white undercoat. You don't need to prime black parts because black covers well, and not green parts either since BR green gives good coverage and the loco may have been moulded in green plastic to begin with.

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I always use either Model Strip if the loco has been repainted before or Super Strip if its a thick factory finish. On a thin factory finish I gently wet''n'dry the whole model especially printed decals. I follow this on with a light primer before adding any top coats.

Archived