Hornby Rail Master new update link 16/07/11

• RMweb Gold

Well here is a video of my atempts at automation.

Taken me most of the day as two of my locos packed up so I needed to reset everything for different locos, which is always going to be an issue when relying on timings and no feedback.

Still it has worked!

Trying to get all of the timings correct and make it repeatable is very tricky, you need to leave about 5sesc between each action so that you can move things closer or further apart, a bit like a computer program when you used to have line 10, 20 30 etc, you could always slip in more commands.

I have set it so the Class 24 sound loco turns the lights and sounds on, then drives off from platform 4 the Hymek then turns lights on and drives off from platform 2

The Hymek will return to platform 3 while the Class 24 returns to platform 1 then the lights turn off followed by the sound.

Sorry the video is rubbish, but does give the general idea, and all the clicks are the points operating, this is fully automatic, I'm not pressing any buttons, trying to work the camera!!

Railmaster is running from a Samsung Netbook N110 connected to the Hornby Elite.

The Netbook screen is too small, but it proves that it can run the software, so it's possible to connect this to a touch screen monitor and you're away.

Cheers

Ian

Brilliant.

I think your layout is exactly what Hornby were thinking about when they designed the system.

For the purist, it is not prototypical, but for genuine "playing trains fun" in an extremely attractive and will built landscape it is perfect.

Love to see some more video of this. It would be worth contacting Hornby and the magazines, as this is just the sort of layout they would want to feature to publicise the product.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the nice comments.

I will post more videos when I make up some more programs.

There is a learning curve with this software which takes time, but then you also need to invest time into running and testing the programs with your own locos as they all behave differently.

As can be seen in my video, there is no acceleration or deceleration on my locos...reason is when the children are playing at exhibitions they don't care about that, they normally want to run everything as fast as possible!!

Having deceleration would be a disaster.

Another thing to prevent this was me setting the max voltage CV5 to a low value so they couldn't run at mach 9!

Problem with doing this the software has built in locos, which when you select will give you prototypical speed running, but as i've set the top speed so low the running speeds are all wrong.

I think what I'm going to have to do is have all of the Thomas stuff set up for manual running and set accordingly.

All of the non Thomas stuff I will need to set to suit the software and a more grown up type of running.

Lots to do and learn about.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

I'm using TeamDigital SMD82's for accessory decoders, they are very good and allow push buttons to be used as well.

If you take a look at my BLOG I have explained more in there.

I have written some not too favourable comments on Hornby forum, but I've now plugged the Netbook into a decent size monitor and it's made a big difference.

There are still bugs in the software and there is a big learning curve but there is with any of the software.

It will take time to get to grips with it, but it does what it says on the box, and what with the Elite V1.4 firmware almost available it could be quite a good set up.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian

I'll take a look at your blog and the website for team digital. My only concern was operating the decoder from the select as a slave to the elite. With all its little quirks. Even without railmaster would you recommend team digital?

I trust your judgment....

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm using TeamDigital SMD82's for accessory decoders, they are very good and allow push buttons to be used as well.

If you take a look at my BLOG I have explained more in there.

I have written some not too favourable comments on Hornby forum, but I've now plugged the Netbook into a decent size monitor and it's made a big difference.

There are still bugs in the software and there is a big learning curve but there is with any of the software.

It will take time to get to grips with it, but it does what it says on the box, and what with the Elite V1.4 firmware almost available it could be quite a good set up.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have tested the Select connected to the layout and it worked fine with the SMD82's, these are sophisticated bits of kit, and work well, I did however have a duff one, soon changed at the shop I bought it from though.

I had however already set the addresses with the Elite, I'm not too sure if the Select will program the addresses correctly.

The reason I use the SMD82's is because you can program them to operate a route just by entering a single address, not required when using Railmaster but just an Elite it becomes very useful.

The routes start at address 100 and once you've got your head round programming it, it's great for something like the Elite, with it's many button presses.

The Select with firmware version V1.0 had a strange way of setting addresses, it would actually use address 57- 60 which is actually 3 out.

When the Select is connected to the Elite(in standard mode) as a Walkabout unit it automatically adds 3 to the address number so everything works.

The problem comes when you have a Select with newer firmware V1.1 or V1.2 these DONT use address 57 so the Elite doesn't need to add 3 to the address number, which is why you then put the Elite into CLASSIC mode, it turns off this automatic numbering system.

Then here's the good part, to run PC software the Elite has to be in STANDARD mode.

As from my previous explanation, any Selects connected as Walkabouts will throw the address out.

I think it's easy enough as a work around:-

1. I've sent all my Selects to Hornby for Firmware update.

2. When it all gets connected up I will just draw a mimic panel out and write the address down to make sure both Selects and the Elite all operate the same point, this may mean operating a point from the Elite means address 71 and from the Select typing in 74 but as long as they do the same thing that should be fine.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

Don't know it looks the same just more expensive as it has the loconet ports on it.

I would give Chris/Jeremy or John at Bromsgrovemodels a call and see if they have any of the SMD82's in stock.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

Don't know it looks the same just more expensive as it has the loconet ports on it.

I would give Chris/Jeremy or John at Bromsgrovemodels a call and see if they have any of the SMD82's in stock.

Just thought, remember that to use the route function you need to be able to set an address at 100, the Select can only go up to 99, it works with the Elite but you may not be able to use the route function with just a Select.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd just let anybody know who is thinking of buying Railmaster that it may not connect!

It needs internet access for activation, this is the issue and solution:-

It’s not 100% clear on the Hornby web site where you can actually find the message!!

The discs have version 1.20 of Railmaster on them, when you load them (must be as administrator to get full web access) it will try and activate but won’t, there are a couple of error messages that are displayed, it’s normally one then the other:-

Unable to enter resource - Cannot connect 0.

Cannot connect Error 12029.

You also can’t run the trial version of Railmaster as it’s expired!

The first thing you need to do after installing Railmaster from the disc, is go to this link which will automatically download the new Railmaster file:-

www.powerpos.com/rail-master/railmaster.exe

This needs to be copied into the main Railmaster program file (normally on the hard drive where railmaster was initially installed onto) which will over write the existing file.

The program should now connect but should also allow the trial version to be run, the new version is now 1.21

Remember the trial version only allows control of 2 locos and 4 points, apart from that it's the full program.

Thought it may help.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see the last posting by Ian was in July, I saw Railmaster in its most up to date guise in a local shop today, I must say it was very impresive.

It did look a little 'toyish' at first glance, but the demo showed its potential with CV reading & writing, setting speeds (in MPH) reording and memorising long sequences with light changes, point changing, loco speeds etc, this can be stored and recalled. the chap in the shop told me that Hornby will be releasing an App. which will allow touch screen control from a smartphone. I think that the Ipad2 would be an ideal candidate for Railmaster especially when touch screen capability is available. As stated before there is a learning curve with Railmaster, but with new developments it is going to be even better.

It does everything easily and is aimed at a wide range of people in the hobby, it may not be for the techno whizz kids, but for people like me who want something that makes reading/altering CVs a doddle, and also makes DCC so much easier and more nejoyable to use. I have just bought an Elite for my portable layout I will be adding Railamaster soon.

• RMweb Gold

Last post in July!!!

Time flies.

Just to let all know that you can now download the trial version from the Hornby website HERE

This is limited in the number of points and locos that can be run but should give an indication of what to expect in it's present form.

If I were going to buy the software now, I would buy the disc but download the trial version, this would give the most up to date version, when you want to activate it just type in the keycode on the inside front cover of the disc.

I have made another video this time on my OO layout Wold's End.

Again this seems to work quite well.

Cheers

Ian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CojK7T4I9y8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Talking to Simon Kohler at Warley, apparently firmware version 1:4 is imminent and makes working with the Sapphire much easier regarding the coal and water load function amongst other things. Also he said that along with the detection function on Railmaster Hornby are working on a wifi connection for touchscreen phones. The future is at least looking rosey for this part of Hornbys portfolio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have had an email from the RailMaster support guys and they are working on the software to use with Palm devices.

It's still a bit hit and miss at the minute but they are getting there.

The Apple stuff will be out much later by all accounts.

I have just downloaded the trial version and it's now saying V1.3, they have added a long addressing function button which gives a pop-up box so now you don't need to worry about working out the long address!

The reason for downloading the trial version was to see if it would run under Linux in Virtual Box.

After a bit of playing about, I can confirm that RailMaster is working!

I installed Virtual-box in to Linux-Mint and installed Windows XP Home Edition in V.B.

Everything so far has worked fine.

Cheers

Ian

Archived