Hornby Elite firmare V1.4

I went to the Hartlepool model railway exhibition yesterday and was talking to Simon Kohler about the Elites new firmware upgrade which was advertised at the show.

Apparently it going to make life easier for us Elite users. It will make toggling of functions easier and fewer button presses between functions.

One of the main bonuses is the increase of functions to I think either 28 or 38? To be honest I didn't take to much notice as I expected the full details to be on the Hornby website. But alas I cannot find them and the only firmware is still 1.3.

Anyway I thought I would let you all know and if anybody finds out more they can post it here.

Guy

I sent an email to Hornby to find out what was happening with the 1.4 update (which I thought was available).

Here is the reply.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

Thank you for your e-mail

The firmware is in the final stages of beta testing so we are looking around a month from now possibly.

Kind regards

Matt Jordan

Customer Care

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lets see if it is released a month from now.......possibly......maybe......ish.

Guy

I emailed them about a month ago about the amount of functions on the elite.

I got a response back...

The Elite is due a firmware update, this update is in its final stages of beta testing and all going well it will be released in the next couple of weeks. This update will allow 0-28 functions.

When i inquired about any other bug fixes/new features the response i got back was.

I'm afraid at the moment the information you require is confidential as it is still in the testing stages. Also this information may change before the release. I'm sorry I cannot help you further at the moment.

That was a month ago so it must be getting close to it's release now.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As an update to this topic, I have found out a little more information today from Model Rail Live.

The function operation sounds like a vast improvement!

From how it was explained to me, you press the function button and the display shows F0-F9 while this function group is showing press any of the number buttons will activate that function, so press 2 function 2 activates.

Now pressing the function button again the display will show F10-F19 while this function group is displayed pressing the number buttons operates that function number, so pressing number 8 will operate function 18.

Pressing the function button again will display F20-F28 as before while this function group is displayed pressing a number key will operate that function so press number 5 will operate function 25.

You can also select any of the functions to be momentary or Toggle on/off.

I think this is a much needed upgrade and makes function operation much easier, very much like the Lenz system.

The firmware is ready we are just waiting for the instructions to be written, as there are a few more menues that have been added for much easier CV adjustment and to make more use of the features of the Sapphire decoder.

From what I have heard today it does sound very good, I just don't know when we will actually get it.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

V14 firmware is now available for download from the Hornby website.

Follow the instructions and the read me text file in the download first!!

It does make the function operation much easier, and the dedicated menu for fuel and event control for the Sapphire decoder is very good!

Cheers

Ian

I like it...

When operating points you now use the left rotary knob (A) click for one way and the right knob (B) for t'other way, so if necessary you can 'double tap' a sticky solenoid and you soon learn - say - left is straight, right is turnout on your layout.

Now when operating locos on both speed knobs (A&B) you have to click a knob to regain control - this without changing direction as used to happen. Just twisitng the other knob doesn't do anything until you click it.

Once having enabled the coal/oil fuel sim in the menus you can quickly refuel from the Function pages (4th click) and hitting the ON/OFF button. This page lets you see the 'fuel tank' for the selected loco. Just like real life if you run out of fuel and stop, the throttle goes to zero and you have to throttle up to go after refuelling. This prevents accidents as a loco won't move after refuelling until commanded.

Another nice feature is the listing to memory of locos and points that you have operated in a session (seems like up to max of 10 each) that can be browsed using the ESC button and selected by knob (A or B). Saves having to do the previous select this, type that, routine. A bit like a favourites list only easier.

Lots of other good stuff in this update.

Rob

Can't wait to see what difference this makes. Hopefully it reduces the convoluted button pressing sessions.

I quite like the elite and how it works with jmri and rocrail etc, shame it was let down by its ergonomics. Let's hope this makes a difference.

Hey Ian, yep I'm ChrisWV10 everywhere :sungum:

No luck. can't get it to complete the install. I'm open to any other suggestions but I've just about exhausted every possible combination....

using compatibility mode (vista, xp & NT) with and without administrator

every port speed from 75 to 19200

changing COM port between 1,2,3,10,11,12

reinstalled bootloader

Every time I get as far as the download progress bar completing then...'update fail'

Bit disappointed that Hornby released this on a Friday when they all finish early, although I suppose I could have waited 'til Monday to try the update when CS are available. But then... it wouldn't be fun and it SHOULD be working..

So. where do I start a 'which new dcc system?' thread? :mosking:

C.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Really sorry to hear that!

This update really does make a huge difference!

The auto cycle control of the Sapphire decoder is very useful, makes it very easy to set up.

I've tried again this morning to see if I could get the Update Fail error message and I can't.

I re-installed V1.3 to the Elite via my Vista desk top then re-installed V1.4 using Windows 7 laptop.

I uninstalled the bootloader then went into drivers and made sure I uninstalled the driver for the Elite and removed it from the system.

Downloaded the V1.4 update from the Hornby website, then plugged the Elite in.

It went through the process of installing the driver.

I then had to un-plug the power and the USB cable to the Elite and plug the power back in again with the stop button pressed down for 15secs after another 15 secs plug USB cable in etc etc

Clicked on the SETUP icon and selected run as adminstrator, the download all completed with no problem.

I have used COM 3, 4 & 5 all ok

Settings, first one is Baud rate then just go down the list, as shown on the PC display:-

NONE

NONE

Click on the advanced button.

USE FIFO is ticked

REC Buffer HIGH setting

Tran Buffer HIGH setting

My Elite is not that old so unless that has something to do with it I don't know.

It's a shame you can't get hold of a Windows XP pc and see if it works on that.

Yes it is very odd they did this on a Friday, still it could have been worse and put up next Friday then it would have been a very long wait!

I really don't know what else to suggest, all of my PC's and laptops are up to date with Microsoft updates I don't know enough about this to advise anything further.

Oh and as for that page error, it's only on that particular thread!!!

All other pages, threads & Topics I can press the page number or the next page, last page arrows and they all work.

But that one thread abotu V1.4 I just can't jump to any page, I can only access page 1 and the last page, very strange.

Hopefully it will be something really silly and you wil be up and running on Monday.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel,

It seems that the 64 bit version of windows is crippling everybody.

I just don't undertsand whats happening, I've been able to load it on my desktop with Vista, netbook running XP home edition and the daughters Laptop which is running Windows 7, although its NOT 64bit.

Followed the instructions on the Hornby web site(which I can no longer access) and every time the update went through with no problems at all.

I even had a copy of V1.3 so put that on each machine and re-installed that so I could then install V1.4 again from each machine.

It's really odd.

Found the old firmware (1.3) is included with the Railmaster demo so tried going back to that. No deal. There's also 2 versions of bootloader. Tried both of those without success. Have searched for updated drivers for USB Hub and USB host controller but they're up to date. Only have this laptop so can't try with another machine.

Only other thing i can think of doing is a complete restore of win 7 which is not a viable proposition!

Really miffed as it seems this update makes the elite a lot easier to use with functions and switching between the 2 control knobs. I'm one of those that kept pressing the other control knob to switch to the other loco causing it to rapidly decelerate and reverse direction so the fact that they've made this the behaviour to use the 2 control knobs is better for me!... If only I can get it to install :dontknow:

C.

Having tested with Rocrail (harvest) v1.4 works fine - I was paranoid Hornby would build in a spoiler such that it could only be used with Railmaster.

Sorry to hear of Chris's problems, I wasn't sure you could do the update via a USB hub? Have you tried direct from laptop to elite?

N

Problem I am having is with a windows 7 (64 bit ) machine can't get it to take the driver a pop comes up can't find the driver but its'n not the one in the Hornby download instructions.

Have managed the upgrade on an older machine running XP without any problems but want to use the Elite on the Win 7 machine.

Anybody got any ideas

Thx in advance

Hi John

It will come up with CDC RS-232 emulation demo as a new device and with a yellow exclamation mark showing the device is not installed correctly.

Right click on it and select properties then update driver.

Browse for the folder you unzipped the elite update to. There are 2driver files. 1 for 95/xp an 1 for vista/win7. You only need to find the folder, you don't need to specify the actual file.

The driver installer should install the correct driver ad you will see the device in device manager change to R8214 Hornby Elite under the Pors heading with a COM port number assigned to it.

HTH

C. :)

Hi John

It will come up with CDC RS-232 emulation demo as a new device and with a yellow exclamation mark showing the device is not installed correctly.

Right click on it and select properties then update driver.

Browse for the folder you unzipped the elite update to. There are 2driver files. 1 for 95/xp an 1 for vista/win7. You only need to find the folder, you don't need to specify the actual file.

The driver installer should install the correct driver ad you will see the device in device manager change to R8214 Hornby Elite under the Pors heading with a COM port number assigned to it.

HTH

C. :)

Thx Chris still not working not getting a yellow exclamation mark just a red cross and not responding to a right click

Thx Chris still not working not getting a yellow exclamation mark just a red cross and not responding to a right click

Problem now solved Chris,

Found it by going through, my computer,device manager finding the elite and right clicking on it.

Thx for the help

Hi

Upgraded my Elite this morning

Like wise o my win7 (64bit) laptop it was a no go

tried several times with various options

unhook elite,, into office ( XP-Pro)

all whent well first time did not even ask about comport

back tolayout (64bit win7) plugged in,, asked permission to change com3 for com4

bingo alls fine

when loading Railmaster did an auto upgrade to that as well

not sure i kile the new icons in railmaster a tortoise and a hare are a bit toyshop for me what was wrong with shunt as a toggle ( off/on)

anyway its running

was reading the comments about the setting up of the fuel option

but thought this only run with the new Hornby Shappire decoder,,

anyway hope you all get sorted soon

rgds

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Go to the C:/ drive and look for the RailMaster folder.

Open the folder and you should find a file "railmaster.ini" which is a txt file.

If you open that file the last line says "Classic buttons=0" (or 1)

if you change that last number over so if it's 1 put a 0, if it's 0 put a 1.

Save the file you will have the shunt and cruise descriptions back. ;)

If the line is not there at all, just type it in and save the file.

classic buttons=X where x is the appropriate number.

Yes the fuel option and auto cycle control is for the Sapphire decoder only(which as a few other bugs in it)

Cheers

Ian

Archived