Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Eurostar

Did anyone here take a copy of the article that used to be on the HO modellers site that describes how to convert Hornby eurostar power coaches into additional articulated coaches? I've got a hankering to build a decent eurostar but all you can buy are the devisable coaches which should be in the cetnre of the set.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone here take a copy of the article that used to be on the HO modellers site that describes how to convert Hornby eurostar power coaches into additional articulated coaches?

Simon, besides being on the website those articles appeared in back issues of the British 1:87 Society journal. The good news is these are being uploaded to the British H0 Yahoo group - joining this group gives access to all the back issues that have been uploaded so far (you'll want issues 35 & 36).

• RMweb Gold

Did anyone here take a copy of the article that used to be on the HO modellers site that describes how to convert Hornby eurostar power coaches into additional articulated coaches? I've got a hankering to build a decent eurostar but all you can buy are the devisable coaches which should be in the cetnre of the set.

I think Model Rail had a similar series of articles a couple of years back describing the conversion using the 4mm scale model, might be worth a look.

While in 4mm scale there is the option of using the Hurst etched sides, I much prefer the cut & shut type method (as I feel that done properly it results in a much better model.) I had started looking at modelling a full set, but it ended up falling in the 'its not going to happen any time soon' category so I ended up selling the bits.

I think Model Rail had a similar series of articles a couple of years back describing the conversion using the 4mm scale model, might be worth a look.

It was issue 88 of February 2006 which dealt with turning end cars into articulated ones (by cut-and-shut means) followed up this very month (December 2009 issue 138) with consideration of the Bar Car with its different window layout.

Not to be undertaken lightly - my 16-car "White Rose" set is reaching the rubbing-down stage, and I'm pretty fed up with the sight of it, I can tell you!

I have a set of the Hurst overlays but i'm not entirly sure i want to use them. Apart from the additional bulk they would add to the stock, it would certainly mean trying to match the paint finish or re-painting the entire set.

I did have the HO guys site bookmarked but it's not there anymore. It was basically a guide to a simple cut-and-shut of the more readily avaliable leading coaches into a passable intermediate coach. I'm sure it's not totally accurate i just fancied building a few more articulated units rather than cheating and using lots of expensive and inacurate divisble coaches.

I have the recent MR article, and it does refer to the original, but goes on about filing and filling windows which to me sounds like a recipe for disaster. The article i saw originally suggested cutting the side out and flipping it to give the raise window line effect of the bar car.

I do plan to have a full set one day, i just wanted to build it up gradually. The idea of having an 18 unit emu that is unusable until it's all finished would drive me slowly bonkers.

All this talk of Eurostars on here and in the news has got me thinking about the OO Hornby model again- does anyone have any pictures of a well detailed/weathered example to share? I imagine there has to be a few out there, maybe with replacement wheels/pantographs/motors etc. What do you guys think? Beyond the problem with lack of suitable intermediate coaches the four car sets go pretty cheaply on eBay, maybe it would make a good project to try and improve one even if it does stay quite short? :huh:

I'm really just after coaches, either the motor or divisable, that can be attacked with an exacto saw :lol:

Does anyone know what the light grey is? I have Phoenix's blue and eurostar grey, but that appears to be the shade of the grilles rather than the body sides. I did see some mention of Renault Glacier White but i'm not sure if that's accurate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Just in case anyone is interested, I have now completed 2 coaches out of 4 in order to have a 10 car Eurostar, the maximum I can realistically get into a station on my layout.  I've attached some photos.  I have since improved the filling to make the poor cuts I made much better.  When I get a moment I will add some photos of the underframe and window unit which has to be similarly cut up.  You can see my technique improved with the second coach I did.

eurostar_1_side.jpg

eurostar_2_side_1.jpg

eurostar_2_side_2_complete.jpg

eurostar_2_side_2.jpg

eurostar_2_side_1_complete.jpg

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...