Two Manchester Tramway extensions open!

PLD

Last Thursday (7th July), without ceremony and very little advance publicity, passenger services started on the first stage of the Metrolink South Manchester Line between Trafford Bar and St Werburgh's Road. This is the first section of the line that will eventually reach East Didsbury; St Werburgh's Road being aproximately where the junction will be for the proposed branch to Manchester Airport.

Services are reported so far to be exclusively operated by the new M5000 (30xx numbered) Trams and advertised as St Werburgh's Road to Victoria, but there have been reports of journeys from St Werburgh's also terminating at Piccadilly, St Peter's Square and Cornbrook...

Not to be outdone by the modern system; an extension of the Heaton Park Tramway to the lakeside cafe was oficially opened yesterday (Monday 11 July) by Pete Waterman. At around 150 yards, this may be somewhat shorter than the extension to Metrolink, but like Metrolink, it is also the first of a planned series of extensions to the line including extra trams and a new depot. Passenger services on the new section will start this Sunday (17th July).

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1426375_the-hitman-and-spur-music-mogul-pete-waterman-opens-historic-tram-extension-in-heaton-park

A couple of photos of these events.....

post-8590-0-48573100-1310923342_thumb.jpg

Metrolink no. 3004 approaching St Werburgh's Road terminus on the evening of opening day Thursday 7 July.

post-8590-0-97385700-1310923931_thumb.jpg

Heaton Park Tramway no. 7 (ex-Blackpool Vanguard 619, ex-OMO 7 and ex-Railcoach 282!) and Manchester Corporation no. 765 at the new Boating Lake terminus while working a special for MTMS members on Saturday 16 July.

• RMweb Premium

The Heaton park extension opened to the puiblic this afternoon at 2pm with about 20 people present in the rain. 765 was followed by 7 and the 762 and all three ran up to the new terminus before running back to the depot..

Jamie

Heaton Park Tramway no. 7 (ex-Blackpool Vanguard 619, ex-OMO 7 and ex-Railcoach 282!) and Manchester Corporation no. 765 at the new Boating Lake terminus while working a special for MTMS members on Saturday 16 July.

Thanks Bob,

:good_mini:

I was on 7 for that first trip!

Were you there as one of the 'new members' or just passing?

Paul

St Werburgh's Road being aproximately where the junction will be for the proposed branch to Manchester Airport.

Can anyone tell me where exactly this junction for the airport will be? I grew up in the area and visited the current terminus this very wet afternoon. A big change from the days I photographed class 40's on freightliner trains passing the remains of Chorlton Junction Signal Box.

Beyond St Werburgh's, The college has expanded beyond recognition, the section from Mauldeth Road to the next station( well advanced construction wise) on Princess Parkway has either been developed or forms part of Southern Cemetary. I just could not work out where the tram route and junction is actually going to go.

Any info greatly received

Mike Wiltshire

I'm not quite sure where the airport line's supposed to go, but Google Earth clearly shows the East Didsbury route clear as far as Parr's Wood (and even room for a way through beyond there to Heaton Mersey and beyond, but of course that's Stockport and Stockport can't ever agree on anything!). I notice Google Earth has St W R tram stop labelled already!

I'll admit I have rather mixed feelings about this extension of Metrolink. I've been familiar with the abandoned railway line through Didsbury since I was 3 (my dad used to go spotting by it and remembers the 'Twins' and the Fell) and after 20 years' talk of reopening, in one sense it's good to see it happening.

OTH, if HS2 part 2 ever gets built, the ex-Midland line's the most obvious route into Manchester - but not if it has a frequent tram service with closely-spaced stops!

Richard

I'm not quite sure where the airport line's supposed to go.....

See this map on the TFGM website... From the St Werburgh's stop, the Airport line would climb and turn sharp right to run in a south west direction along the central reservation of Mauldeth Road...

I notice Google Earth has St W R tram stop labelled already!
but the photography needs updating as it doesn't currently show any sign of construction work never mind a live tramway (I was looking for the layout of the junction at Trafford Bar)

See this map on the TFGM website... From the St Werburgh's stop, the Airport line would climb and turn sharp right to run in a south west direction along the central reservation of Mauldeth Road...

Thanks very much. This explains a lot. I will watch with interest how they get the trams up on to the high level Mauldeth Road as there are buildings on both sides, including new college developments.The map shows the tracks turning straight through the middle of the college.

The Mauldeth Road route reminds me of my school days when everyone was objecting to the plan to put a motorway link into Mauldeth Road via Hardy lane at 'Jackson's Boat' where Sale Waterpark is now.

I suspect the tree preservation lobbys will have something to say if the Trams run down the middle by the school as it is all trees in the central reservation. I wonder if the trams are the reason why the speed limit has dropped from 40 to 30mph on Mauldeth Road

I have reservations as to who will actually use trams from the airport.

The thought of a family and half a dozen loaded cases trying to find room in the current tiny three car units is a nightmare waiting to happen. Anyone who has used the tube from Heathrow will know what I mean and they are eight cars long!

I have family who work at MIA but they see little opportunity to use it unless it runs 24 hours unlike the rest of the system (they complain the last tram has often gone before the encore at St George's Hall). Like many at MIA, It is not unusual for their shift to start at 4am so only a 3.30 tram from Sale Moor would benefit. Currently they use motorbikes/cycle as the bike parking is near security clearance gate they enter through.

I follow the development with interest. Thanks again for the responses

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Bob,

:good_mini:

I was on 7 for that first trip!

Were you there as one of the 'new members' or just passing?

Paul

Definitely not a 'new member' Paul: membership no. 67. In fact I was the guard on the first public service when the tramway (re)opened in September 1979 and was very active in the first years of HPT. Life and other commitments have since got in the way of regular involvement for many years. It was, however, great to be there for a couple of hours last Saturday.

Archived