Back to the drawing board

richrock

Well, I was going to build a variation on Thurso, however, SWMBO decided she needed the bigger spare room (after all, she was setting up a new business, so I couldn't argue there - that brings in money whereas my layout thus far hasn't :unsure: ).

I also had donated to me a large amount of n gauge track, and a ton of US outline wagons, a few steam & diesel locos - none of which work brilliantly, but at least they do work. Not bad for 30-year old models.

So I'm really geared up for doing a switching layout, but in 6x1 (including fiddle yard). I've figured I'll use the 2 setrack right points to make a 16" min length yard at the back right. I've looked for the last few nights at timesaver, inglenook, and some of the layouts provided generously by hugh and shortliner - all inspirational stuff, but when it comes to making clicks in xtrkcad.... well - I made the fiddle yard. :huh:

After that, I get confused, with all the terminology that goes with US outline, but I'm learning. I would appreciate any ideas, inspiration, and rules about layout design here. I want a layout that can provide sustained operational interest by having a few industries to shuffle cars between. I reckon I could have four industries, but how would I lay out the yards in between these?

Or, my other crazier idea was to simulate a through line, with a service yard of some type - no trains would actually run on the main (as I understand they call it) but I would run the yard, and need help to figure what to put where on this so I can actually start laying track - I'm itching to model something, but being thwarted at the first step. :(

EDIT: I really like the Ness Street Yard, but there's no fiddle yard and it's for HO, which would fit really easily on my board - just need to convert it down, but unsure how.

• RMweb Gold

When planning a US based layout you need to remember the wagons are longer than ours. In the fifties there were a lot of 40ft and 50ft cars around move forward in time and they become longer. The siding lengths and run arounds need to be based on the wagon lengths. In the US they seemed quite happy to use the main for run arounds. Model Railroader has featured some very nice shunting planks over the years as well as those huge basement double level monsters.

Don

You're absolutely right - how did I miss that :blink:

Revised the layout, really starting to work for me now. I could curve the yard on the top right up more towards the corner, or leave it for scenics. I may also shorten the run round loop as I'm only looking at 3-4 car trains, or possibly shift the whole plan left slightly to extend the right-hand yards.

post-6601-0-54837200-1310628325_thumb.jpg

Hi, Richrock, and welcome! Ness Street was originally in N gauge - you'll find it here http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm (scroll down to "Layouts smaller than 4' x 2') - I rebuilt it to HO . It doesn't need a fiddleyard as the front track is an interchange with the main line where a westbound freight picks up outbounds and drops off inbounds - halfway through a session you could have an eastbound do the same - which would mean you need to sort your outbonds into east and west bounds and deliver the appropriate ones to meet their train. Of course you actually use the same cars as inbounds, but to different industries - the other alternative is to put another turnout in that track and have two parallel interchange sidings so you deliver to one and pick up from the other. It was intended as an abxsolute mimimum space layout that had its fiddletrack built in.This is another use of the "Shift time" concept mentioned elsewhere, in that the you are on the day shift and the westbound drops off overnight, whilst you are off duty having a beer or sleeping - it becomes your first job in the morning.

Have fun

Jack

Archived