Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 12 wheel restaurant car

A few years back I obtained an underframe without cut-outs from the now defunct Modelspares of Burnley. Recently a friend has tried East Kent Models, but they have never supplied them. Now, there must be some out there in the big wide world, but so far googling has failed to find one. Does anyone know where one might be obtained or perhaps they have one that was never used. Help on this would be appreciated.

Might these not be the original Airfix models, then maybe Mainline and Dapol , who I think took over this model. When Hornby took over the model from Dapol I think it was then that the chassis was modified to have the cut out. So an original Hornby unmodified one may not exist, if you follow my logic!

The original 12-wheeler was produced by Dapol in the David Boyle days, and sold for the then high price of 25 pounds, (this is in ~1984 when the average coach was a fiver!). It was fitted with the non-cut-out frame, and the cut-out frame came as a spare in the box. An innovative idea, like the first Dapol J94 models that came with a drop-in rtr EM gauge wheelset.!!

Cheers, Peter C.

The original 12-wheeler was produced by Dapol in the David Boyle days, and sold for the then high price of 25 pounds, (this is in ~1984 when the average coach was a fiver!). It was fitted with the non-cut-out frame, and the cut-out frame came as a spare in the box. An innovative idea, like the first Dapol J94 models that came with a drop-in rtr EM gauge wheelset.!!

Cheers, Peter C.

Was it not originally an Airfix product? The underframe without cutouts didn't seem to make it to any of the Hornby releases. It is relatively easy to fabricate filler pieces for the cutouts from plasticard.

Adrian

Was it not originally an Airfix product? The underframe without cutouts didn't seem to make it to any of the Hornby releases. It is relatively easy to fabricate filler pieces for the cutouts from plasticard.

Adrian

No, it was on the Airfix "to do" list, as were the Bulleids and Quad-arts! The Replica LMS period III open third also dates from this time as well, until recently one of the best rtr LMS coaches available.(That'll set'em off!).

As Coachmann says, when it appeared,it was well ahead of anything contemporary,and it sold out despite the doomsayers, but unfortunately remained an orphan.

Cheers, Peter C.

Thanks for the replies.

I was originally going to modify mine, but got hold of the one from Modelspares for only £2.50 so went for the easy option.

Archived