A Southern workbench

Tim Hale

With the Wadebridge signal box and the forthcoming Beattie 0298, it would seem churlish not to make an effort, besides a certain set of articles (see below) were the spur.

Back to basics - an ancient 02 bought from EBay which needs a bit of TLC and updating using the Frank Crudass articles in the MRC.

This morning's post brought a new etched chassis kit from Dave at SEF (what an excellent fellow) and this is a before shot, with your patience I hope to document its rebuild.

Here is the starting point, a cruel enlargement of a very old model:

02++7.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it's a bit "tall in the saddle" as the US folk might say, but it's still unmistakably an O2, so you have a good starting point, that's for sure. Steam loco chassis frighten me, so I hope to see you show how possible this art actually is!

Ian,

I suspect that a litany of faults will be revealed; the 21mm drivers are too large and the carrying wheels too small, the SEF etched chassis should provide brake gear. For further detailing, inspiration from Adam, DLT and Frank Crudass should prove invaluable whilst a 1024 and High-Level geartrain will compliment the remaining bits.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

I suspect that a litany of faults will be revealed; the 21mm drivers are too large and the carrying wheels too small, the SEF etched chassis should provide brake gear. For further detailing, inspiration from Adam, DLT and Frank Crudass should prove invaluable whilst a 1024 and High-Level geartrain will compliment the remaining bits.

Tim

Hi Tim,

The SEF O2 is one of their better kits, and the body of this one looks fine to me. The current etched chassis would make an excellent replacement. I built one a while ago, see my workbench thread.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave,

Visited CamRail, bought a HighLevel plus 1224, add these to the SEF etched chassis with Markit wheels and we have a winner.

Put the old chassis on EBay, it's a good 'un but not for the new layout.

Tim

IMG_0303.JPG

A whitemetal dinosaur, straight out of the 60's but as sweet as a nut and it just glides along the test track. Unfortunately the dye is cast and the etched SouthEast chassis is on the workbench ready for the hi-tech bits from High-Level, even the Markit wheels are all shiny and RP25 - should be a beauty.

In case anyone wonders, the opening photo hides the fact that the previous owner stuffed a few washers between the chassis and body - no wonder it has a 'sit up and beg' look.

Tim

PS Sorry about the livery - it will look lovely in black.

Archived