How to use Revel Matt Varnish

I have used the Revell Varnish, (modern types),, and with an airbrush it should be about 60% varnish to 40% thinners, which should be good grade spirit thinners, Revell's own, Humbrol or Precision. The exact ratio depends on the airbrush type and pressure used.

The Revell paint is standard synthetic enamel,and thins with white spirit or it can be thinned with cellulose thinners or lighter fluid (petrol),

however this is not advisable with varnish, which is sensitive to these faster drying thinners and leaves white marks. or streaks.( I assume you are using matt) Gloss will work with lighter fluid, but you must try it out and learn the right way to use it, which is very light coats.

To get a satin finish you can mix the gloss with the matt by experiment, and even with the standard Matt or Gloss, tests should be done on scrap cans etc., to find the best mix of thinners for you.

Too thick, and it will need lots of pressure and may give a heavy coat, too fine and it will mist and dry in the air, giving a poor finish. Try to get it so that it goes on just slightly "wet" right under the airbrush target, but dries as you proceed. Take it slowly, never rush painting it takes time!!

Any problems just ask...

Stephen.

I have only thinned revell matt varnish to brush by hand and for heavens sake stir it well, mega well, shake it a tad when the lid is on, give it a good shake, then get either a match stick or a cocktail stick and stir it thoroughly for a couple of minutes, found in my experiance that it thins better the longer you stir it for, which I find strange, but could be the cold room i use for modelling!

Archived