Motorisation advice required

GWR-Fanatic

Hi there.

I'd like some guidance in relation to alocomotive I have that does not currently have a motor.

At a recent model railway exhibition I purchased one of Dapol's dummy Class 35 Hymeks in N Gauge, and I would like to motorise it. However after speaking with the company Dapol itself, I was informed that they were never produced (or at least intended) to be motorised.

However when I turn the model upside down, I can see the cogs that a motor would slot into to turn the wheels and make thelocomotive move. These can be found on both sets of bogies.

Would somebody be able to suggest perhaps a suitable motor for the locomotive? Only I’d really like to motorise the locomotive so that it fully fits in with my other Western Region diesels, and also that it can form part of my exhibition layout next year.

Many thanks and regards.

The most obvious answer to this would be to sell the dummy unit and buy a fully motorised unit. Trying to shoehorn motors and drive systems into N gauge models is difficult at the best of times, and there are not a lot of suitable motors and parts available to do the job.

• RMweb Premium

You'd be better off swapping the body on to a motorised chassis (where you don't need to worry about the body colour) and then either keeping the dummy as a dummy or putting the new dummy on eBay.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived