Station 'set' built for new Harry Potter film

bmthtrains - David

Watching the final Harry Potter film yesterday, I was waiting eagerly for the final scene. This is set in Kings Cross station, as the now adult HP kids watch their children go off to school for the first time.

I'd read months ago that the whole scene had to be refilmed as the makeup effects on the actors didn't come out very well, but by this time the rebuilding of Kings Cross had got to the point that the studio couldn't use the station again. They then had to spend millions of pounds making a partial set for the re-shoots.

I'm wondering if anyone has read or seen on TV any behind the scenes stuff about this, as it was rather interesting to see. They used the exterior of St Pancras for the station, then the interior was basically a mock-up of one of king's cross' platforms with trains on either side to block the view, and presumably a CGI roof added.

What interested me was that this set must have been enormous, or possibly used elements of another real station. The steam train appears to be real, not GCI, and is actually moving along a short bit of track, and oddest of all, the train used to block the view on the other side in the set is the Virgin relief set of Mk3s - so this film set must have actually been connected to the rail network!

If anyone knows more about this, I'd be fascinated to find out how it was all done

David

• RMweb Gold

There was a lot of overnight filming at Kings X for this film, with the VT Pretendolino being used to block the Hogwarts Express platforms from the muggles!

It sounds like they've combined this footage with some CGI to hide the building work.

Pity someone can't wave a wand at Kings Cross and go "Station Rebuildo"...

Hi Adam, that's interesting, and makes sense needing a train to block the view of all the fans taking photos! I know they rebuilt the thing in Leavesdon studios as they changed the script and makeup completely for the reshoot. I imagine the final scene in the film cuts from 'new' scenes with the actors, to the original scenes filmed in KC where the trains are clearly visible (can't remember if you actually see them in the same shot).

David

• RMweb Gold

Just been to see this today

Has rather confirmed something I discovered in my teenage years when Deltics ruled and the buffet served a wicked fish finger chips and baked bean lunch

What would that be you might ask?

Well - heaven is Kings Cross!!! Not a train to be seen but am sure one will be along soon ...

Hee hee

Phil

Archived