French Curves - Drawing Office type.

Probably in the wrong section (Musings), but it is for Modelling.

Yup, Admin moved it to Modelling Questions, Help and Tips, thanks.

I am looking for some proper French Curves, not the cheap type sold in Smiths etc.,

I have some modelling projects on the go at present and would like to use 'proper' curves.

Those familiar with drawing office equipment before the days of 'Cad' will know what I mean.

I had an old set of about 20 when I started work in a drawing office in 1960, I acquired more as the years went by.

I also have two large boxes of Railway Curves - Imperial and Metric.

After I moved to Cornwall some 12 years ago, the French Curves were stored in a drawer within a 'plastic' bag.

After about a year, I was modelling in my cubby hole when I noticed a strong acidic smell,

I opened a desk drawer and the French Curves were melting, I touched them and 'burnt' my fingers

- I threw the bag out of the window, hosed it down, then when the lot had 'stabilised', into a bin.

I now need some French Curves, decent ones, but were do you get them from - I've tried Ebay...... searched Google.

Brian, I've seen these, they are thicker than the ones I'm looking for, but many thanks for the reply.

The ones I'm looking for are 1.4mm / 0.055" (55 thou") thick and a slight chamfer on the edge for ink work as opposed to a slight rebate.

I would not expect to see the word 'Student' in the description line either - does that make me a snob?

Brian, I've seen these, they are thicker than the ones I'm looking for, but many thanks for the reply.

The ones I'm looking for are 1.4mm / 0.055" (55 thou") thick and a slight chamfer on the edge for ink work as opposed to a slight rebate.

I would not expect to see the word 'Student' in the description line either - does that make me a snob?

These any use?:-

http://www.office365.co.uk/sf/sl.aspx

I do wonder how much drawing office stuff is still available, with the predominance of CAD? If only I knew where my father's stuff went to.

Archived