The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A mathematical problem

scots region

Hello all, I decided yesterday that for a laugh I would try and calculate just how long a scale length 00 gauge East coast main line would be. Research told me that the ECML is 632KM long, I try to work in metric as often as possible as it is the field in which I have the most experience, So 632km = 6320 meters, now according to research on another forum, in 00 gauge 1M = 13MM, but when 6320 is divided by 13 it equals 486.15 meters which when translated into imperial is 302.09 miles. To cut a long and tedious story short I found out that the actual scale length is 5.17 miles. Now for someone who wants to work to scale this is a serious problem, so how have I managed to be so off?

Also How do you convert metric/imperial measurements into 1:76/4MM? What is the formula? For both metric and imperial.

ScR

• RMweb Gold

Whatever figure you reached for metres you would have to multiply by 13 and not divide as each metre is represented by 13mm. This answer would also be in mm so would need converting back to metres.

486.15 meters which when translated into imperial is 302.09 miles.

I'm at a loss as to how you reached the 302.09 miles figure. That makes the world record for 400m of 43.18 seconds quite impressive.

• RMweb Gold

Or go for Settle to Carlisle.

Divide any measurement by 76 and you get the scale measurement, measured in the same units, in 4mm scale.

Just under 72 miles in length

Just under 1 mile in 4 mm.

Simples.

• RMweb Premium

OK I'll ask it....since it is in OO, shouldn't it be 12.37387% shorter to match with being that much narrower than P4?

I'll get my coat.....

• Like 2