Weathered BR maroon Duchess of Montrose

edcayton

Saw one of these at a show recently and the guy told me it was a standard "out of the box" Hornby product, he thought it was R2446. As far as I can tell they are only producing blue and black ones at present.

Two questions

1)is this a reasonably up-to-date in terms of detail and accuracy, and especially loco-drive model?

2)where is likely to have one-presumably as old stock? and how much should it cost?

Yes-I have looked on e-bay.

Thanks,

Ed

The model is Probably R2383 City Of Nottingham, the only Weathered BR Maroon Duchess That Hornby have brought out.

R2446 Duchess of Montrose was also Weathered but was In BR Green. Id say there is a mix up there, it will be one or the other.

As Paul has said, the real 46232 never ran in BR Maroon, infact none of the Scottish based Duchess' were repainted into this colour.

Interestingly 46251 City of Nottingham was infact the only Duchess with a Curved front to be painted in BR Maroon

Interestingly 46251 City of Nottingham was infact the only Duchess with a Curved front to be painted in BR Maroon

I'm interested - what do you mean by 'a curved front'? Do you mean the footplate drop-ends?

Yes thats what i mean, not the utility type ala the Streamliners and 6253-46257, the conventinal type which 6230-6234 and 6249-6252 had.

i just looked on ebay.com.au the Australia Ebay site and there is a old Margate Duchess of Abercorn in BR maroon. Perhaps the model that Ed is talking about is this Hornby model?

... is this a reasonably up-to-date in terms of detail and accuracy, and especially loco-drive model? ...

Current production is loco drive, but it still has a number of Margate era features about it, last time I looked. Put it alongside a recent product with all new tooling such as the Britannia and it will look second best. It's all sorts of small things: slightly undersize centre drivers, less refined rods and gear, bogie on the old style swinging arm with 'airspace' above, a chunkier body moulding which shows on visible edges, less separately applied detail, the old power coupling placing the tender 'half a mile' behind the cab.

Hornby do incrementally upgrade models, so some of these points may have been improved since I finally 'caved in' and bought a red Duchess. All of them can be improved with a little work, and it helps the appearance no end. It also needed to be packed full of lead, in order to have the proper 'pull the side out of a house' performance of the prototype.

Archived