Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Porblem with Instanter couplings!

Hi all

I am starting to put Instanter couplings on to some of my Hawkworh coaches ,but one thing that I am having a problem with is the gangways seem to get in the way ,making it very hard to couple up the coaches?.

Is their a way of doing this with out having to have the coupling sticking out so far?

All the best

Darren

They would have had screw links in reality not instanters but you may be better off with some auto couplers anyway or just plain bars if its a semi-permanent rake.

Trying to uncouple screw couplings under gangways is always going to be an issue without a little man to jump down into the cess and do it..

I think the corridor connectors (gangways) are a little too long on Hornby's Hawksworths. If you want to replace the tension-locks with close couplers or any kind of scale couplers, you'll need to trim a millimeter or two off the ends of the gangways. The Hornby gangways on mine didn't look to be easily trimmable, so I popped them off and instead I glued on some rubber gangways (Replica?) which I had previously shortened at the inner end using a razor blade. This would also apply if you were to fit dummy screw-link couplers.

One option, which I've seen used with a good degree of success, would be a combination of Bill Bedford coach couplings combined with MJT paper corridor connections. Obviously the nature of these couplings means rakes will have to be semi-fixed as shunting on a layout will be impossible. But the arrangement is very reliable.

Archived