RMweb

For the modeller with limited space

I suggest a trip to the newsagent for the August Continental Modeller - an excellent article on "Yard 6" microlayout by Julian Andrews in 48" x 15.5" at left and 3.5" at the right end. (That includes the fiddle sector plate - Carl would have loved it!) Additionally a masterclass on modelling concrete by Emmanuel Nouaillier

And - for Jordan - "Look at the Loco!"

Thanks Jack

I bought a copy of CM and Julian's layout is truly amazing. I was wondering what had hapened to him! It is a very good article because as well as the track-plan and good pics he ends with a very honest critique of the layout.

For me it is good because this is exactly the space and shape I have available. I have always fought shy of sector plates but this one sems fairly straight forward.

Cheers

Ken

Dear Jack,

I could see this being adapted as a "challenge" layout,

(IE soo simple, anyone can 'have a go')

hmmm, now, will gaffa-tape work adequately as a hinge for a foldable all-foamcore version that collapses down to 2' x '2 x '2 in "cubed proscenium, ready for travel" format???

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

as opposed to Duct tape which seems to be universal, these days!

over here, we have 'Duck Tape', which may or may not be the same thing....?

Useful, amongst other things, for re-assembling ducks that one has just run over?

Oh..and this country has become far too PC to have 'gaffers' anymore.......

In this case the "Gaffer" is the guy responsible in movies for running lengths of cabling around and his tape is to secure them. Look at the credits next time you watch a film.

Duct (or even Duck tape) is only good for sticking to itself.

I'm not even sure you can get proper Gaffer Tape in the UK any more....

All the best, Pete.

Real Gaffer tape will probably work - as opposed to Duct tape which seems to be universal, these days!

Best, Pete.

Dear Pete,

If it's not Nashua 357, it;s not real gaffa tape...

(I never leave home without it...)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• 2 weeks later...

... "Yard 6" microlayout by Julian Andrews ...

And - for Jordan - "Look at the Loco!"

Finally finally got to check it out at 'Smiffs' today.... :rolleyes:

:yahoo: The "L'il Beaver" no less!! B) :drinks:

I'm resisting buying the mag for just one article; I trust Julian could be persuaded to do something for MTI..? (Get #98 on the cover now it's in colour!! :yes: :yes: :yes: )

Jack and the others (Jordan? Ken?) - you're too kind, gents! Yes, I'm very much still around and still building impossibly small layouts. "Yard 6" resides in Poole, Dorset, nowadays, with my good mate Rob, who took it to the last Wealden show, back in March, I gather. I get bored with my wee layouts very easily - build 'em, show 'em a couple of times around the Somerset area where I now live, then a quick write-up for a mag and move on. Fickle, some would call it... "Yard 6" now appears in both US and UK blue-diesel guise with Rob at the controls. Inspiration for the original track plan came from a super photo feature on the late, great Carl Arendt's site, featuring a pulp paper unloading dock in Connecticut, served by the Connecticut Southern RR.

As for the "L'il Beaver" (an ex-MILW SW1 up in the Seattle area, operated by Ballard Terminal RR), well, I did my usual trick of trying to contact the actual RR, in search of someone who works for them and who may, just may, be a modeller. I struck gold and a part-time engineer there was also a modeller and had built his interpretation of "his" daily railroad, hence the MTI article. He sent me some additional material to inspire me, and to supplement the excellent "Walking Tour" website article. He also emailed me the artwork for the decals, which I eventually produced on my simple home-PC printer, after much head-scratching and swearing.

So there we are. The current "wagon-bothering" layout is a 3-track, O gauge switching layout, box-file-sized, holding 6 wagons. There's a short traverser holding a loco and one wagon, to serve the three parallel tracks. No points needed. Watch out for it in a future Railway Modeller some time next year, I'm told, if you're remotely interested in my (all-too apparent) small layout fixation! It goes back a bit now...anyone remember "Eastport and Calais"? That started it all! Regards to all. Julian.

Julian - hadn't realised you are on here - welcome and we always like to see your results - It hadn't struck me what the inspiration was - but now you point it out it is obvious! Well done with adapting it to such a really small space.

Best

Jack

Thanks for that, Jack! Kind words. I'm leaving US modelling for a (long?) while now, having sold the lot back in 2009. More small layouts to come in the years ahead, no doubt, until I retire in 2015 and can start the big project of my dreams. Like we all do....or aspire to!

All the very best.

Julian.

Thanks for that, Jack! Kind words. I'm leaving US modelling for a (long?) while now, having sold the lot back in 2009. More small layouts to come in the years ahead, no doubt, until I retire in 2015 and can start the big project of my dreams. Like we all do....or aspire to!

All the very best.

Julian.

Thanks for the link Jack (Just joined), and Julian, fantastic work!!!. Good to be back in touch. I'll be off to Barnes & Noble this afternoon to look for the mag.

Stu.

Julian - hadn't realised you are on here - welcome and we always like to see your results ...

Likewise, especially as, as far as I know, you're not on the MTI forum? Good to say hello Julian - I remember Eastport & Calais too - a layout of mine was inspired by Jack's "interpretation" track plan of it (called the Westport and Dover :rolleyes: )...

Given up US outline? What's happened to L'il Beaver, then..? :blink: Might it be up for sale? ;)

Hello again! Jordan - alas, the SW1 in question was sold at the Taunton show back in 2009, along with all my other US HO stock. It was the hard-to-find Walthers model (Roco made?) and ran like a dream, as you'd expect. Lots of work on it to get it to resemble "L'il Beaver" but so worth it. Glad to learn that my earlier efforts inspired! Eastport and Calais was my first exhibition layout and was fun to build, albeit less so to operate for a day or two at a show, as it was rather limited in scope! I still have a liking for the railways of Maine, pre-Guilford, and Eastport/Calais must have been glorious to visit when MEC GE44s were the loco of choice, maybe with a Geep to substitute. I had a deep love affair with the Belfast and Moosehead Lake RR too and did-up a Bachmann GE70 tonner in the classic green livery. Another visit to New England followed in 2000.

Good to get your message too, Stu! I think you submitted the pulp-paper loading dock in Connecticut pics to carl Arendt which inspired "Yard 6"? If so, thanks! Superb!!!

the SW1 in question was sold at the Taunton show back in 2009, along with all my other US HO stock. It was the hard-to-find Walthers model (Roco made?)

Good to get your message too, Stu! I think you submitted the pulp-paper loading dock in Connecticut pics to carl Arendt which inspired "Yard 6"? If so, thanks! Superb!!!

Yes, good to be back in touch Julian!. I have a few more prototype Inglenook locations (from Connecticut) in mind, that could utilize the classic 'Nook proportions, but have structures, car spots, and scenery to look like a normal micro/switching layout. Where would be the proper location to post the ideas on RMweb?. Ideas Jack?.

Also, on the old Walthers SW-1.... I sold mine on Ebay a while back, HOPING someone....Proto 2000?.....would have released a more detailed one by now!!!. So far, no luck.

Stu.

Archived