Howes LoKsound 4.0 lights

superkev

Hi

Very busy with dcc things at the moment hence number of posts (sorry)

Im traying to add a headlight to my Fairburn tank fited with a Howes Lok-sound 4.0 LMS 2-6-4 tank chip.

The sounds and drive have worked fine for a couple of months but I now have a problem when fitting a headlight.

Before adding the LED I did some tests.

Putting the voltmeter between the White and blue wires shows no volts in either direction with lights (F0) enabled.

Same for Yellow and blue.

CV262 (dimming) is set to 66

Do I need to enable something or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance

Kev

Hi

Very busy with dcc things at the moment hence number of posts (sorry)

Im traying to add a headlight to my Fairburn tank fited with a Howes Lok-sound 4.0 LMS 2-6-4 tank chip.

The sounds and drive have worked fine for a couple of months but I now have a problem when fitting a headlight.

Before adding the LED I did some tests.

Putting the voltmeter between the White and blue wires shows no volts in either direction with lights (F0) enabled.

Same for Yellow and blue.

CV262 (dimming) is set to 66

Do I need to enable something or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance

Kev

You will need to speak to Howes. It is entirely possible that F0 is no longer allocated to an auxiliary output

• RMweb Gold

Lights may not be enabled

Set  CV31 to 16

CV 32 to 2 

CV330 to 1

CV346 to 2

sorted

Bryan

Many thanks Bryan

Works fine now

CV31 was 016 now 016

CV32 was 000 now 002

CV330 was 000 now 001

CV346 was 000 now 002

Tip - Its always wise to but a note of CV changes and when in with the loco. (Sorr to those in the know)

Presumably if I get round to a fire hole LED I will have to do more changes.

I think I want to reblow my SWD/Loksound 3.5 Crab. I beleive the LMS mogul has the correct LMS whistle (Not the Stanier Hooter of the Black 5).

Kev

Many thanks Bryan

Works fine now

CV31 was 016 now 016

CV32 was 000 now 002

CV330 was 000 now 001

CV346 was 000 now 002

Tip - Its always wise to but a note of CV changes and when in with the loco. (Sorr to those in the know)

Indeed !

And with the LokSound v4, the CV's become interdependent. So, CV32=16 means CV330 is controlling the lights. But if CV32=something else then CV330 controls a different feature.

Its ESU's solution to having more CV's than can be fitted in the addressing range of CV space.

Read the ESU manual, unfortunately its fairly complicated.

(JMRI/DecoderPro has this hassle sorted for the LokSound V4).

- Nigel

• 3 months later...

I'm very new to all this but I've just programmed up an olivias locsound 4 using a basic Dynamis, mapping Aux 1 & 2 to function keys and couldn't get it to work until I realised I had to set indexing CVs 31 to 16 and CV32 to whatever value is stated on the tables page 45 & 46 of the manual BEFORE setting EACH of the 3 lighting parameters in table page 45. Lighting brightness has a max value of 31. Same indexing method goes for the mapping, I managed to map aux 1 to F8 & aux 2 to F14 despite the manual saying you can't map higher functions without a lokprogrammer. The indexing serves to tell the chip which function you are changing. The manual resides at http://www.southwestdigital.co.uk/PDF/LokSound/51972_LokSound_V40_ESUKG_EN_User-Manual_Edition_2_eBook_02.pdf - I can't read the CV's with the basic dynamis so was working on faith that it was programming correctly and I wasn't screwing anything up. I hope this helps somebody because I could'nt find much info on this when I was looking and am very pleased that it worked.

Mike.

Archived