Oerlikon EMU's on the NLL Photos

Even though I have only seen the one surviving Oerlikon EMU coach at York I still think that these units were way ahead of there time - sliding doors and very comfortable seating and they had a working life of @40years all being withdrawn from passenger service by 1960

As I child i lived at Carpenders Park near Watford which is served by NLL D Lines so the attached link I had more than a passing interest for me.

Oerlikon EMU at Carpenders Park Station

Xerces Fobe

The LNWR Diagram M12 push-pull saloon was visually an Oerlikon copy. I remember those sliding doors. Internally there was a partition and the doors slide between this and the outer skin of the coach. This accounts for the use of frosted glass in the outer small windows.

• RMweb Premium

After witdrawal I believe that several sets were stored and I think 4 of them were transferred north to Lancaster for the Lancaster Morecambe Heysham service in the early 50's. At least three sets were fitted with pantographs and mercury arc rectifiers and became the testing gound for 50 Hz traction equipment though running under 6.25Kv rather than the full 25Kv as the original Midland ov erhead was used and keeping the voltage low save changing all the insulators. There is a colour film of the sets on service called "The Pioneer Line" which is well worth watching and I am failry sure that it;s still available on DVD. I have several photos of the sets in service and did ride on them as a child and will try and get one posted.

Jamie

After witdrawal I believe that several sets were stored and I think 4 of them were transferred north to Lancaster for the Lancaster Morecambe Heysham service in the early 50's. At least three sets were fitted with pantographs and mercury arc rectifiers and became the testing gound for 50 Hz traction equipment though running under 6.25Kv rather than the full 25Kv as the original Midland ov erhead was used and keeping the voltage low save changing all the insulators. There is a colour film of the sets on service called "The Pioneer Line" which is well worth watching and I am failry sure that it;s still available on DVD. I have several photos of the sets in service and did ride on them as a child and will try and get one posted.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The units used for the Lancaster Morecambe Heysham service were not actually Oerlikon stock but rather Siemens EMUS that were manufactured before WW1 and look remarkably similar. These units were used initially used on the Willesden Junction – Earls Court route until they were stored in 1940 and then 3 were converted to 6600 volts at 50 Hertz overhead EMU's @ 1950/1 with a 4th unit being converted in 1957. A wealth of information on this line can be found on the Electrification Pioneers site

I think this would make a great line to model maybe and when I decide to move onto my next model railway project this line could be a candidate. Thanks for the heads up on the "The Pioneer Line" DVD I think I will get a copy.

Xerces Fobe

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie,

I think this would make a great line to model maybe and when I decide to move onto my next model railway project this line could be a condidate. Thanks for the heads up on the "The Pioneer Line" DVD I think I will get a copy.

Xerces Fobe

I agree that's why I'm modelling Lancaster Green Ayre in 7mm set in 1923 If you are interested send me a PM I'm in touch withe the man who filmed the units for the Pioneer Line.

Jamie

Archived