Hornby Class 56 - Bizarre Motor Problem

richierich

• RMweb Premium

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience this problem with an early Hornby Class 56 (latest super detail model). I've got 56 059 EWS. It will run fine in one direction, yet barely move in the other. I've taken the body off and disconnected the driveshafts. The motor turns freely in one direction, but the other with controller hardly open, it turns freely, then as the controller is opened, the motor buzzes and then stops. From feeling the controller it must be pulling some current because it become hot (not had a meter on it yet). So I'm assuming its the motor, and not the PCB.

Has anyone else experience this with a Class 56 (or the Class 50 or Class 60 because the can motors are pretty similar)?

If so was it a new motor, or something repairable?

Thanks,

Rich

• RMweb Premium

I wondered if it could be the PCB?

The motor runs fine in one direction, and the loco operates fine, its just when the polarity is reversed the problem starts.

The belt to the fans has already been removed.

• RMweb Premium

Good point. I'm going to disconnect the motor and check it out. I have a feeling its a PCB issue. Having checked the spares supplier, all show the PCB as out of stock, so I'll have to contact Hornby if its proved to be a PCB fault.

Good point. I'm going to disconnect the motor and check it out. I have a feeling its a PCB issue. Having checked the spares supplier, all show the PCB as out of stock, so I'll have to contact Hornby if its proved to be a PCB fault.

I've stripped out all my class 56's of their PCB's, except the sound one, so if you need a PCB let me know and I'll send you one. Tony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well finally got an opportunity to do some tests, and guess what the PCB is the guilty party! Indeed suspect its why the lights are iffy too.

The motor connected directly to a DC supply is very smooth as you'd expect. So now is time to source a replacement, because all the spares suppliers show it as out of stock sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just as a follow up, I've found with a replacement PCB, all it well and the loco works fine. Only thing is the old board must have blown the LED for the number 1 cab head / marker lights - groan blink.gif So next job is to strip it out and see if can replace the LED

• RMweb Gold

Just as a follow up, I've found with a replacement PCB, all it well and the loco works fine. Only thing is the old board must have blown the LED for the number 1 cab head / marker lights - groan blink.gif So next job is to strip it out and see if can replace the LED

Make sure before you go resoldering that it isn't just a poor alignment of the contacts from the chassis to the bodyshell, they are notorious for not making contact.

Andi

Well, have attempted the LED replacement you're planning and can only wish you good luck !

LEDs in question are tiny, surface mounted devices - If remember correctly the cab has to be dismantled before you get to the LED / lens assembly. There was one red and two white as I remember, with the lens distributing the light through the front panel as necessary. Pretty much sub-miniture devices - I was intending to take mine to work to carry out the job under the microscope, having failed to find the LED sub-board as a spare.

Anyway, look forward to hearing how you get on...

• 6 months later...

The Loadhaul Class 56 (R2751x) I got has a strange habit.

Runs quite well with the supplied Hornby decoder, motor was run in for an hour each direction at varying speeds as good practice.

Runs brilliantly with a Bachmann decoder, knowing that the decoder and loco are a good match.

With a Legomanbiffo Class 56 decoder, runs well until your slowing down, loco slows down and just as it comes to a halt it has a small burst of power, surges forward and inch or two then stops!

Tried the loco out of curiosity with a Legomanbiffo Class 156 decoder and the problem dosent happen, then a Howes Class 26 and still not a problem

Legomanbiffo Class 56 decoder was tried in another Hornby Class 56 and a Hornby Class 31 just out of curiosity and they run absolutely perfectly!

Weird eh?!

Have to add

In the other class 56 loco that runs sweetly, the Legomanbiffo class 56 sounds are awesome!!!!!

Archived