Hornby 14mm coach wheel insulation...

I bought several sets of Accessory R8218 14.1mm Metal Disc wheel/axle sets (Quantity 10) recently but have found they are only insulated on one side.

Does anyone know if Hornby supply 14mm coach wheels that are insulated both sides. It doesnt matter if they are plain disc, 2-hole or 4-hole.

Thanks in anticipation,

coachmann

Hi Larry

Only cat NoR8218 has only one wheel Insulated these wheels are the ones fitted to there Pullmans

The other 14.1mm Hornby wheels have both wheels Insuated

Also fitted to the Maunsells and LMS stock

Sorry, I was referring to being only insulated on one side. Can't see the point in 4 and 2 hole variants. Can't see them anyway. As long as they're the right size and insulated on one side they get slapped in my coaches.

Sorry, I was referring to being only insulated on one side. Can't see the point in 4 and 2 hole variants. Can't see them anyway. As long as they're the right size and insulated on one side they get slapped in my coaches.

Its only the R8218 that are insulated on one side so the lights work in the pullmans

The R8218 wheels have to be used carefully with metal bogies and plastic bogies with metal axle bearings as I found when I used them on a Comet coach kit and a short resulted .As long as the unisulated (or insulated) are all on the same side a short is avoided on an individual coach.If the coaches are joined with metal couplers such as Kadees there needs to be consistency across the whole rake.Much easier to use the fully insulated variety!Having said that I find them to be excellent wheels-and cheap when compared with the alternatives..

The R8218 wheels have to be used carefully
Spot on.

I was going to go on and mention this and why I didnt like them. The 4-hole are fine for LMS 'Porthole' stock. The two-hole are probably the most useful as that is how coach wheels were, one being a lifting hole and 'tother a balancing hole. Thanks Mozzer for giving the Hornby reference numbers.

• 5 years later...

Apparently R8218 wheel sets are now insulated on BOTH wheels.   I was informed this today by a technical rep at Hornby and the spec was changed a couple of years ago.  

When is Hornby going to get it act together over the spares situation?   They sell loco's that spare are not available for, some spares numbers are wrong and spares specs are changed and don't bother informing anyone.   No wonder they are in financial problems.

• 5 months later...

Hornby have learned from past mistakes, 53 years ago My Uncle Charlie gave me 2 Hornby Dublo wagons for Christmas, they are still running, My Duchess of Montrose was second hand in 1962 and parts of it are still running, my 64XX had a pre 1965 Hornby Dublo chassis which still runs despite the loco being scrapped when the Bachmann one came out.    Do you see?   Its completely crazy and financial suicide to make items that last and you can get bits for.   Far better to have every batch made diferently so when it breaks you can't get the right parts and have to buy a complete new model.  Not rocket science.   (I put the bodies of dead Bachmann etc models on old chassis with Romfords etc, that way Markits get my money not the Chinese)

However I want some of those 1 side insulated wheels, typical that Hornby discontinue them.  I use Lima one side insulated wheels in Hornby Dublo metal bogies for my lighted coaches but want some 00 width one side insulated for brake van lights etc.

Hi there,

i'm very interested in these axles, i like to use them with inside bearing, so i hope someone can give me the dimensions of these axels.

thanks Jeroen.

I'm not 100% sure with Hornby coach axles, but assume they are the same as the wagon axles which are usually 2mm diameter and 26mm over pinpoints (not that the latter dimension is necessary if you intend to use inside bearings).

Archived