company logo labels on vans

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cheat a little with wagon labels by applying a square / oblong patch of white paint, (sometimes with patches of other colours on top such as yellow or red) and then, when dry, rub partly off with fine wet and dry. The result; a care worn and illegible label that could be anything really.

I have tried the pre-printed labels but the thickness of the paper spoils the effect for me

I aim for an impression rather than an accurate recreation.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I cheat a little with wagon labels by applying a square / oblong patch of white paint, (sometimes with patches of other colours on top such as yellow or red) and then, when dry, rub partly off with fine wet and dry. The result; a care worn and illegible label that could be anything really.

I have tried the pre-printed labels but the thickness of the paper spoils the effect for me

I aim for an impression rather than an accurate recreation.

Andy

To achieve the same effect I use a snopake correction roller, leaves a very thin layer.

Mike.

• 5 years later...

I find company labels/posters on vans very interesting, what were some other big users of the labels on their vans? I have trouble identifying most companies since I wasn't around at the time! I'd like to find the old logos to use but it seems to be much more than a Google search away.

I've got many Flickr galleries full of shots of vans and wagons in the early 60s, a lot of them seem to have the company branding.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125881805@N02/galleries?rb=1

I recognise the cartoon that is "Sifta Sam the Sailorman", so the wagon has at some time been loaded with boxes of table salt. I don't recall sifta being other than a table salt brand but they were early into TV advertising. It would make a rather good adition to the Hollar range.

CAT

excellent, Ill be getting some of them, probably go for the ffyfes ones

Ive been watching Fully fitted freight from 1957 to try and see some, dont know if the dates a bit early, only one I could see was this which looks more like a cartoon drawing..

vlcsnap-2011-07-23-23h00m38s74.png

I am new to the forum but seeing an offer to post my own work I could not resist.
​I work in 12" to the foot gauge and have created a number of posters for use on vehicles.

I have compiled references from a number of sources and created my own High Definition files
​I have of cause applied the posters in the same manor as the originals, pasted on to the vehicle sides. 

post-34828-0-48086500-1533818639.pngpost-34828-0-50072100-1533818640_thumb.pngpost-34828-0-94997700-1533818642_thumb.pngpost-34828-0-61144400-1533818647.pngpost-34828-0-67285500-1533818645_thumb.png

Archived