Partick Central Station

AngusDe

All,

Anyone familiar with the operation of the goods yard at Partick Central in Glasgow?

If you look at the image on this site (click larger image) :-

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSE01364

The goods/coal yard on the right hand side along the edge of the river Kelvin has a long kick back siding accessed by a unfeasibly short head shunt itself accessed by a diamond crossing. I've no idea what the siding was for or how it would be worked, makes no sense to me, any ideas?

Angus

The goods/coal yard on the right hand side along the edge of the river Kelvin has a long kick back siding accessed by a unfeasibly short head shunt itself accessed by a diamond crossing. I've no idea what the siding was for or how it would be worked, makes no sense to me, any ideas?

The long siding was actually a lead down to the docks as far as I remember. There was an article on the station a year or two ago in the Caledonian Railway Association magazine and I'll try and find my copy and check it out.

Jim.

Thanks guys, looking at the maps it does seem to be a branch into the shipyards/docks.

Still none the wiser how it would be worked, both headshunts/loco releases seem only long enough for a wagon or two?

Angus

Just founnd the article in the CRA magazine - it was by John Paton in the October 2009 edition. The track plan matches the Caledonian era plans in the old maps URL given above. It looks as though the LMS altered the formation to introduce the diamond and to improve the shunting capabilities. Certainly the arrangements in the Caledonian era could only have allowed two or three wagons to be moved on or off the loop at a time.

According to John Paton's drawing, the line led to Inglis shipyard, crossing the Kelvin immediately under the NB line. So there could have been workings of (the ubiquitous) Barclay pugs from the shipyard up to the loop lines.

Jim.

Angus,

One of my favourite Glasgow stations. Always liked this pic of an NBL on the Railscot website:-

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=26614

Interestingly the NBL is on the Westbound platform line. I'll post a link to the Canmore pic which shows an Eastbound passenger service on the other line. So maybe the NBL has tracked over the diamond crossing from the shipyards you mentioned earlier.

Regards,

Stewart

Angus,

One of my favourite Glasgow stations. Always liked this pic of an NBL on the Railscot website:-

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=26614

Interestingly the NBL is on the Westbound platform line. I'll post a link to the Canmore pic which shows an Eastbound passenger service on the other line. So maybe the NBL has tracked over the diamond crossing from the shipyards you mentioned earlier.

Regards,

Stewart

Angus,

As promised:-

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/152928/digital_images/glasgow+benalder+street+partick+central+station/

Rutherglen bound passenger service.

The Canmore site is worth investigation if this station interests you. Some great pics but also search under "Scotstoun Mills" which produces some great shots of the bridge over the Kelvin and the signal box as well as the mills themselves.

Regards,

Stewart

All,

Thanks for all the links and comments, fascinating stuff.

I didn't start exploring the west end till my late teens in the late 70s so the Partick Central site was mostly derelict, although the scrap yard was still rail connected by a elongated siding from Meadowside as I remember, if only we had camera phones like the teens of today, lol!

The working of that branch to the ship yard/docks still don't make much sense to me, a lot of trackwork to do a convoluted run round of a wagon or 2, that is a lot of shunting to shift anything, but I suppose it was all to avoid a facing point on the mainline.

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

This siding that is being talked about also, I think, had a turnout to the right to join the eastern end of the Whiteinch tramway and a further left hand turnout at the start just below where the line crossed under the road, what is now the Clydeside expressway feeding into the old granary, this was more or less the last working of the this line

Living just North West of Glasgow, i travel in to Glasgow by train and pass the old Partick West station before you get in to the new Partick station. It is surprising how much it has changed from how it used to be. The old goods yard that was once near the old Partick west station has changed so much from what i have seen in pictures. There is still a few reminders of the old line about.

• 1 year later...

Stumbled across this great pic of a class 20 D8108 in 1973 shunting the far side of the goods yard just before the bridge over the Kelvin.

Hazy shot but great one. I've only ever seen shunters (class 06; class 08 or NBL) on pictures of trip workings along this line so a nice find!

http://www.train-photos.com/picture/number12653.asp

Regards,

Stewart

• 5 months later...

As a kid, I travelled the North side suburban network from Westerton into Queen St Low Level, before the Argyle line was built, fairly regular and I remember a scrap yard close to the line near to where the SECC now stands, was that the one mentioned in the caption?

The shot of the oil depot shows the electrified line in the background but I can't recall seeing that although I'm fairly sure the scrapyard was still rail fed then. I think there was a trip working served the few remaining sidings along the line but I've no idea where it ran from/ to but I suspect it may have travelled over the line to Knightswood Jcn (West Highland route from Queen St), and run round somewhere before heading back towards  Queen St Low Level. The other one I remember was the coal yard at Partickhill, I saw 20's and 27's there a few times shunting the 16t minerals, not sure if it was significant but I did note at the time that they were all MCV fitted types (1978/ 9)

• 5 months later...

There were two rail served scrapyards at Partick Central. I recall when at Glasgow high 1st year 67-68 and travelling to Anniesland for rugby (not very exciting but at least interesting transport experiences getting there either electric train or usually Daimler bus on Corporation route 44)spotting the "south" scrapyard which was supplied by the siding referred to in the original post. There were usually about 4 mineral wagons being filled. This siding ran parallel to the Kelvin bank. I remember going to explore the site in 72. There was a defunct colour light signal at the tunnel mouth which seemed funny as we thought then of colour light signals as really modern technology. Some time later I took a photo of the "north" scrapyard (ie on the Dumbarton Road side of the station) I should have this somewhere if anyone was desperate to have it for modelling or other purposes.

In 78 while a medical student at Yorkhill hospital I used to watch the 08 arrive each morning to shunt the tank wagons. Soon after the site closed down.

• 4 months later...

Had a walk down by Kelvin Hall today and the site of Partick Central station is now cleared and being built upon.

I think it is going to be student accommodation.

The tunnel under the existing line seems now to be getting backfilled.

On the other side of where the station was the old mill buildings beside Partick pumping station seem to be getting torn down.

I'll try and get more pics later on.

post-4044-0-92277600-1399031659.jpg

Good picture David, It is a shame that they don't think about transport more as this station could have been a vital asset to get more traffic off the road and also with the commonwealth games coming soon it would be a vital link as well as the other stations that could have been resurrected and put back into use. I guess when they closed the lines they did not think about economic growth in the community. Shame they are now lost!

I was working when I took the previous photo with my phone. On Friday evening however I had to go and pick my wife up from the commonwealth games venue at the Kelvin Hall so I took my proper camera to record a few image before there is nothing left.

You are right Ian seems a waste.

Even opening up the tunnel and bridge as a cycleway would be better than the status quo.

post-4044-0-22180300-1399197817_thumb.jpg

Site of Partick Central Station

post-4044-0-81859800-1399197830_thumb.jpg

Bridge detail

post-4044-0-05051000-1399197840_thumb.jpg

Looking towards Kelvin Hall with railway bridge crossing the river Kelvin.

post-4044-0-49168100-1399197844_thumb.jpg

From the Kelvin Hall car park towards Partick Central.

post-4044-0-11606600-1399197851_thumb.jpg

Same again showing the old Mill being demolished.

post-4044-0-09551000-1399197856_thumb.jpg

Entrance to Yorkhill Tunnel.

post-4044-0-80501600-1399197875_thumb.jpg

Looking under Dalnair Street to the site of Partick Central.

post-4044-0-68702000-1399197869.jpg

Looking down onto the entrance to Yorkhill tunnel.

Archived